Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:04 PM   #11

I think I've mentioned this before, but there is an online school at http://eclecticacademy.com/ They offer many courses at different levels for all sorts of graphics programs. Classes are 6 weeks and $30. In the classes taught by Sara Froehlich it is unbelievable how much you can learn in the six weeks. Her classes are packed with information.

I'm taking a photo correction class right now and will be starting a photo restoration for old photos in January.

Anyway, for what it's worth.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:29 PM   #12

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
I think I've mentioned this before, but there is an online school at http://eclecticacademy.com/ They offer many courses at different levels for all sorts of graphics programs. Classes are 6 weeks and $30. In the classes taught by Sara Froehlich it is unbelievable how much you can learn in the six weeks. Her classes are packed with information.

I'm taking a photo correction class right now and will be starting a photo restoration for old photos in January.

Anyway, for what it's worth.

Patty
Thank you very much Patty!
I'll most likely take advantage of some of those.

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:34 PM   #13

A few tips

Don't cut your foreground object out, paste the entire image and use layer mask to get rid of the background. This way you can use all the tools to make the edges look more natural, and more easily correct mistakes.

Put your shadows on a separate layer between the foreground and back ground. This way you can blur the edges adjust the opacity and even skew and elongate them to match other shadows in the background picture. If for example you have a car in the foreground you can turn its "mask" into a selection fill it with black on a new layer and make it into a much more natural looking shadow.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:06 PM   #14

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
A few tips

Don't cut your foreground object out, paste the entire image and use layer mask to get rid of the background. This way you can use all the tools to make the edges look more natural, and more easily correct mistakes.

Put your shadows on a separate layer between the foreground and back ground. This way you can blur the edges adjust the opacity and even skew and elongate them to match other shadows in the background picture. If for example you have a car in the foreground you can turn its "mask" into a selection fill it with black on a new layer and make it into a much more natural looking shadow.
hey TJ,
thanks for the tips, I'll check into that. I'm a little confused at the moment but, I think when I get into it I'll figure it out. right now, I'm trying to figure out why when I clicked on photo me,my images disapeared! can anyone else see them? :-?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:11 PM   #15

layers is the best way to do stuff i find
tjsnaps is right about the layer mask, although i use gimp it has a similar thing and you can have hard and soft selections depending on which tool you use plusy it is easy to add and subtract from the selection

these are good images and work well together

ps check pic 3 between the front wheel struts(?) thingies
i think you should be able to see through the gap
did you save them as photoshop files ?
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:59 PM   #16

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
layers is the best way to do stuff i find
tjsnaps is right about the layer mask, although i use gimp it has a similar thing and you can have hard and soft selections depending on which tool you use plusy it is easy to add and subtract from the selection

these are good images and work well together

ps check pic 3 between the front wheel struts(?) thingies
i think you should be able to see through the gap
did you save them as photoshop files ?
Hey John
I'm assuming since you commented on pic #3 that means you and others can still see the pix. for some reason I can no longer see them. I just installed "Photome" and all the pix I have posted have disappeared, although I can still see other peoples.:-? anyway I'll check out the original and see what you're referring to.
thanks,

GW:bye:
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:02 AM   #17

Pretty cool John, my first reaction was "What the? There was no prowler at Archbold!" Your examples and all the input and suggestions has been very educational as I want to learn more about photo manipulation. Thanks for posting these.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:23 AM   #18

Wow! Very nice!

Didn't even register with me that these shots were edited until I read what you did with the shots!

Wow! Nice!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:12 PM   #19

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Wow! Very nice!

Didn't even register with me that these shots were edited until I read what you did with the shots!

Wow! Nice!

Take care,
Glen
Thank you Glen,

I appreciate the compliment!

Cheers,:bye:
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:17 PM   #20

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Pretty cool John, my first reaction was "What the? There was no prowler at Archbold!" Your examples and all the input and suggestions has been very educational as I want to learn more about photo manipulation. Thanks for posting these.

Tim
Hey Tim,

Ithought you might get a kick out of these seeing how you were there!:G

glad it was helpful to you.

BTW, I'm hoping to have my new K20d in about two weeks, I'm going nuts notbeing able to go out and shoot!:?

GW:bye: