Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:49 AM   #1

Just playing around with layers and having a little fun...
when I went to Archibald preserve a while back with Tim, he let me use his 10-17mm fish eye lens. I took a shot of this long building... made it look like it was on a corner lot.

later, I got a few shots of my buddies car in the parking lot at work. he has this really cool prowler. so, armed with cs3 and some photos... here's what i came up with.

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2008, 4:46 AM   #2

Well made fakes, GW! The car looks proportionate, and the shadows are there as they should. Good composition, too.

You might be interested in the discussion in this old thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:05 AM   #3

The first one has some outline that makes it look like it was added. The next two however look really natural especially #3. It is a lot of fun to play around with pictures. I wish I knew how to use layers. Maybe some day I will take the time to sit down learn!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:15 AM   #4

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Well made fakes, GW! The car looks proportionate, and the shadows are there as they should. Good composition, too.

You might be interested in the discussion in this old thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

Kjell
Thanks Kjell,
the only real shadow I had to work with was the one from the pickup truck in the left background. if you look close at the last pic, you'll see I had to flip the car in order to get the shadow right. :G I blured the license plate to protect my friend but, as you can see, the writing on the bumper is reversed. it's a little hard to read but says Plymouth Prowler. Other than that you wouldn't have any clue that it was reversed. thanks for your comments,

GW:bye:
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:42 AM   #5

Very nicely done! Cut-outs are not the easiest things to do in my opinion - I have a horrible time getting the edges right.

Glenn - layers aren't all that hard or mysterious. Adjustment layers (like levels, saturation etc.) are wonderful, especially for someone who learned Photoshop before they had them, and when they only had one step undo. I used to think layer masks were really mysterious until I was reading an article in a magazine and it showed where to click to add one, then paint what you don't want on the layer mask. The light went on in my head and suddenly what was a subject my mind glazed over with became a tool I use quite often. It really fun to play with all these things, though I do find something like this can be quite frustrating and time-consuming to get right. Which is why I think this set is so very good!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:04 AM   #6

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
The first one has some outline that makes it look like it was added. The next two however look really natural especially #3. It is a lot of fun to play around with pictures. I wish I knew how to use layers. Maybe some day I will take the time to sit down learn!

Glenn
Hey Glen,
you're right, I didn't try as hard on that one to get it up to par. it was getting late and I was tired so I let it go. I'm teaching myself how to do this so I may be doing it the hard way out of ignorance but, using CS3 I'll take the photo I want such as the car, and use the magic wand to select the background that I want to erase and hit the delete key. this gives me the rough cutout of the car. Then I enlarge the view to where I can see the pixels and start removing the unwanted ones with the erasure tool. When I have what I want I save it. before I close it, I'll click to select the image and then "edit"- "copy" now I have the car image on the clipboard. then I'll open the photo I want to use for the background, go to edit - paste. now you have the car on top of the background. Photoshop automatically places it in a new layer. make sure you have the view layers window open. there you can pick what layer you want to work in and how they show on the screen. when you are finished you click on layers on the menu bar, scroll to the bottom and click "flatten" then all layers are blended into one and you can save it as a Jpeg. hope that gives you a starting point, have fun. BTW going around the perimeter of the cutout image to get it to look natural and not like a cutout like my first one is very intensive time consuming work!
but can be fun too.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:13 AM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Very nicely done! Cut-outs are not the easiest things to do in my opinion - I have a horrible time getting the edges right.

Glenn - layers aren't all that hard or mysterious. Adjustment layers (like levels, saturation etc.) are wonderful, especially for someone who learned Photoshop before they had them, and when they only had one step undo. I used to think layer masks were really mysterious until I was reading an article in a magazine and it showed where to click to add one, then paint what you don't want on the layer mask. The light went on in my head and suddenly what was a subject my mind glazed over with became a tool I use quite often. It really fun to play with all these things, though I do find something like this can be quite frustrating and time-consuming to get right. Which is why I think this set is so very good!
Thank you Harriet,
I feel very pleased when I get a sincere complement from someone of your caliber!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:30 PM   #8

i enjoy playing with photoshop and i agree its the edges that sometimes give the game away, but the 2nd pic of yours especialy, id not have guessed if you hadnt told us. nice one
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 4:38 PM   #9

Nicely done, John. Coming from someone who's been working in PSE7 all day trying to get homework done. Dealing with layers, cutting, dodging and burning today.:-)

One trick to cutting something out to put in another image is to feather the edges ever so slightly. Just like a1 or 2. Doesn't make it so sharp.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:34 PM   #10

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the compliment my friend!
:bye:

Thank you too Patty,
I'm sure there is a lot better way to do most of what I try but, I'm having fun learning and I appreciate all the tips I can get from all of you!
:-)