Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:43 AM   #1

Going to try a "soft" filter-a lot cheaper than a "soft" lens-wondering if this diffusion will compromise the auto focus on my k10d? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:05 AM   #2

Some would agrue that the results straight out of the K10 are soft anyway.

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but wonder if a similar effect could be obtained by turning down the sharpness adjustment a tad.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:26 PM   #3

Depends on the soft filter, I suppose. The only one I have has a fairly sharp spot in the center, so I would think it would AF correctly. Not sure I ever tried it on an AF lens - mine is 49mm and think I only used it with my old M 50mm lens (about the only thing I have that it would fit on). The focus indicator light worked since I found it harder to see the right focus.

A friend of mine (who had been a photographer in the Navy) once suggested a really inexpensive way to simulate a soft focus lens - stretch a panty hose over your lens. I've never actually tried it, but thought it was an interesting idea.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 8:15 PM   #4

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
A friend of mine (who had been a photographer in the Navy) once suggested a really inexpensive way to simulate a soft focus lens - stretch a panty hose over your lens. I've never actually tried it, but thought it was an interesting idea.
Well that helps YOU Harriet, but think of the trouble we men folk would be in if we start stealing our wives' pantyhose for photography purposes! Sorry DMJJR, I can't help with your question but now I am busy contemplating raiding my wife's underwear drawer. :-):-):-)

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 8:27 PM   #5

Hello,

I have a K100d & ended up trying out my Cokin - Diffuser 1 filter on my camera when I was taking pictures of my wife and daughter. (Which I'm thinking is the same thing as a soft filter -- it looks an awful lot like the 49mm Vivitar Soft III that I have.)

I wasn't thinking of autofocus performance when I tossed it on because I just happen to have the stuff from my film camera days. But when I tossed the filter on, my camera operated just fine, autofocus and all & I was really happy with the soft images I was getting!

Here are a couple of shots.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:35 PM   #6

That's exactly what I am looking for-great shots-guess I will try a couple of used filters from KEH. Think I will stay away from the panty hose-used to use that to spit shine boots in the Army.

Thanks
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:48 PM   #7

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
Think I will stay away from the panty hose-used to use that to spit shine boots in the Army.

Thanks
That's probably why the guy I knew, who used to be a Navy photographer, always had some around. They did do a reasonable job on boots, though not as good as a true spit shine. For some reason I just couldn't get that glass look completely with a panty hose. And maybe that's why I've never tried to use one as a softness filter - if it was only just OK for boots, maybe it would be only just OK as a softness filter?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:45 PM   #8

Have fun DMJJR!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:59 PM   #9

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I have a K100d & ended up trying out my Cokin - Diffuser 1 filter on my camera when I was taking pictures of my wife and daughter. (Which I'm thinking is the same thing as a soft filter -- it looks an awful lot like the 49mm Vivitar Soft III that I have.)

I wasn't thinking of autofocus performance when I tossed it on because I just happen to have the stuff from my film camera days. But when I tossed the filter on, my camera operated just fine, autofocus and all & I was really happy with the soft images I was getting!

Take care,
Glen

Try other Cokin filters as well Glen. The Cokin polorizer and the 120 grad grey work well for landscapes.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote