Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2008, 4:15 PM   #11

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Aside from all the technical stuff - try to make it a somewhat entertaining event for your grandson. I am not the right one for the real "formal" shots (now that was to be expected, right :roll::G?) so what I do normally is to take the candid shots, what I am after is that "yeah: that's ...." or "typical!" effect.

I ask kids to perform for me, recite a poem, tell a joke, a sad story, a dream, grimace, whatever. If they are cooperative, I ask them to kinda "freeze" when I say "stop!" etc. - if you want to get a "honest look", try to get their attention, really talk to them, listen, play a bit dumb and let them explain something, until they forget about that silly dSLR watching them.

You can also try to make the kids "play" with the camera... works better for girls, though

Of course this means you'll end up with A LOT of photos, but on good occasions I had something like a 1:10 ratio (i.e. 20 real keepers for 200 shots, which is usually the amount of one "session" at a certain location, including the "fun" shots). Not too shabby if you ask me.

Practise ahead of time is a great advise. Not only for the lighting... It is also a good idea to get a feeling for DOF (frontal portrait, side portrait, ...) at a certain distance and with a certain lens. You should do some tests and know minimal and maximal aperture you need for head and torso shots, i.e. the "working range" (lets say f/2.8-f/6.5 to start with depending on background.

Good luck for this,
Th.
Already got the wife lined up for the practice. He's a 6'2" 220 lb. linebacker....don't know if he'll want to play or not! LOL Poetry is not gonna happen with him either. But I get the idea..I'm more of a candid shooter myself so that is why this formal stuff is getting to me.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:42 PM   #12

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Already got the wife lined up for the practice. He's a 6'2" 220 lb. linebacker....don't know if he'll want to play or not! LOL Poetry is not gonna happen with him either.
Now, Dawg, let's not fall victim to stereotyping. I was once a considerably larger defensive lineman and my masters' degree is in British poetry, lol. (I love to play with students' minds by exploding that stereotype.)

I haven't done much of the indoor formal portraits, and none of the cap and gown shooting, however, I love doing outdoor senior portraits. I just wander around with the student and have fun, joking around and clicking while I do. One of the best sequences I have ever shot was what became the end of a senior portrait shoot when the young lady was wanting to pose on a large rock in a creek, slipped, and fortunately I kept the shutter firing. The result was an unforgettable series of genuine emotion. Her mother told me every cent spent on the shoot was worth it, just for the shots after the fall. (There were also some great portraits before the water.)

"Make it fun for both of you" is the best advice I can give you.

Paul
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:11 PM   #13

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Already got the wife lined up for the practice. He's a 6'2" 220 lb. linebacker....don't know if he'll want to play or not! LOL Poetry is not gonna happen with him either.
Now, Dawg, let's not fall victim to stereotyping. I was once a considerably larger defensive lineman and my masters' degree is in British poetry, lol. (I love to play with students' minds by exploding that stereotype.)

I haven't done much of the indoor formal portraits, and none of the cap and gown shooting, however, I love doing outdoor senior portraits. I just wander around with the student and have fun, joking around and clicking while I do. One of the best sequences I have ever shot was what became the end of a senior portrait shoot when the young lady was wanting to pose on a large rock in a creek, slipped, and fortunately I kept the shutter firing. The result was an unforgettable series of genuine emotion. Her mother told me every cent spent on the shoot was worth it, just for the shots after the fall. (There were also some great portraits before the water.)

"Make it fun for both of you" is the best advice I can give you.

Paul
I do like that shot Paul and thanks for the advice. Not going for any stereotype here as this Grandson I know from inside out...No poetry!!! LOL:G

My daughter was afraid he might be uncooperative. I told her not to worry...if he causes a problem, I'll just beat his eyes together and then when the swelling goes down we'll take up where we left off....She laughed her head off over that!!:lol:

Dawg
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:10 PM   #14

BigDwag-

Here is a combination of window light (I am not sure it is north light, who knows!) and a bounce flash with nice results. That might be the ticket for you. Yep, that is me. My husband took the photo after I set it up.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 2:26 AM   #15

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
BigDwag-

Here is a combination of window light (I am not sure it is north light, who knows!) and a bounce flash with nice results. That might be the ticket for you. Yep, that is me. My husband took the photo after I set it up.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, I'd know that beautiful face anywhere! LOL Thanks for that advice.

Dawg
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:24 PM   #16

Hi Dwag-

Here is a little experiment for you. I partially drew these drapes and then had my husband take the photo just using bounce flash. But in a single photo, you have two backgrounds. The lighting may be too soft for a "manly" senior portrait.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:20 PM   #17

I'll have several ambient light sources and will try a few as you suggest Sarah.

Dawg
Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:25 PM   #18

Just trying to help the Dwag-

It sounds like you have everything under control, Dwag.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:31 PM   #19

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:

Sarah Joyce
Not really Sarah as this is a bit beyond what I normally shoot.

Dawg
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:39 PM   #20

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:

Sarah Joyce
Not really Sarah as this is a bit beyond what I normally shoot.

Dawg
You don't say when you are going to have your shoot. My partner & I did an engagement shoot last Saturday. I certainly have not seen every post in this forum but I don't recall much being said about white balance. I have been trying to get a good skin tone out of my digital camera's for about 6 years. I am still using my DS with a DA 70 2.4 limited-we did a manual white balance and the results were spectacular-I would post a few shots but don't have the release as of tonite-it's not that difficult and I think you will be pleased with the results. Just my 2c worth.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote