Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1

Cold cloudy morning. First snow this year.

Attached Images

StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:06 PM   #2

StevieRaveOn wrote:
Quote:
Cold cloudy morning. First snow this year.

Not too bad Steve. Would you mind a small critique?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:55 PM   #3

Not at all. Please do.

And please help me with down sizing photos. I don't know how to make them smaller and still look ok. They look good on my computer but when I make them smaller they get funny.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:58 PM   #4

Kind of like this....
Attached Images

Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:26 PM   #5

Resizing is never complimentary to your photos, assuming you keep the proportions locked though it should still be an accurate but less detailed representation of your shot. What software are you using?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:14 PM   #6

You are correct, Tim-

Software may be the answer or the problem in this photo. The scene was great but better framing would have produced a much better result.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:25 PM   #7

This could be a great shot but the angle is wrong. The thing about a bridge is it has an entrance and an exit. The angle you shot this at shows neither. If you had walked closer and used a wide angle lens you would have avoided the trees that block the entrance and then you could clone out the distracting warning signs there and had a very good photo. Just be sure to include a bit of the stream to give the bridge purpose. I would have walked up to the area marked with an X and shot at the angle marked. Also don't center the bridge when you do this, keep the bridge as 2/3 the horizontal and around either 1/3 or 2/3 the vertical of the photo. Just how I would do it and not the only way to do it.

Dawg

Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:17 PM   #8

Thank you all for the Help. I want to tell you I sure do appreciate it. The bridge photo was a spur of the moment. I must of drove through this thing hundreds of times and never thought of taking a photo. I sure will try different angles the next time I get passed that way again. One of the big problems is the location is fenced in and property of the Lehigh County Game Preserve. Well, If you don't hear from me for a while it's because they tossed me in jail for trespassing.:lol: As far as software for the computer I must say I'll need to work on that also. My daughter is pretty good with photoshop.I hope she gets real good with it. It cost me a bundle for her studies. She is away at collage and maybe she can get me pointed in the right direction. I don't understand cropping and all the lingo. I'm not going to let this get me down. I really like the idea of seeing results instantly.

One more thing. I bought the Magic Lantern guide for the k20d. If anyone else has this book let me know if your book has pages 33-48. Mine are missing. I bet these missing pages hold the key to my success :G

Once again thanks a million!

Stevie
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:19 PM   #9

Hi Stevie, I like the covered bridge. I also believe that a good part of great pictures is opportunity. I live in the desert and like the ocean, covered bridges, old barns, etc. and probably miss the vast majority of local opportunities right here under my nose.

That said, I can think of quite a lot of things I would like to do with your bridge in terms of photo opportunities, angles, perspectives, time of day, etc. As Dawg indicated there are better vantage points, and here are some additional ideas ....

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/covered_bridges.htm
http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-ima...ed-bridge.html
http://www.acclaimimages.com/search_...ed_bridge.html

Now I did not do anything special to find these - other than google "pictures covered bridges", and presto - a whole set of additional photo ideas that you can use.... Also, you can use the various seasons and weather conditions - spring, summer, fall colors, winter snow, icing etc.

hope that helps....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote