Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:04 PM   #1

I am making some soft lights to illuminate a backdrop and put a bit of light on the hair. Three in all, using porcelain fixtures and a sheet steel box. These will be mounted on tripods I'm making and have shutters on the front to control the amount and direction of the light. I prefer using fluorescent bulbs as they are cooler. Which bulb do I need? I can control the color balance before and after...I've more PP filters than Carter has Liver Pills so that isn't a real issue but if I can stay closer to a white or at least around 5000K I believe it would be better. Any advise will be welcome.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:04 PM   #2

ugh-- caught by the multiple post monster. . .:?:
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:04 PM   #3

. . . and again . . .
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:14 PM   #4

Hi Dawg,

I've been slowly replacing my regular compact flourescents with "daylight" ones. Makes WB when chasing the cats around easier. Around here, they are stocked at most of the big box hardware stores like Menards and Home Depot at @ $6.00 each. These are 100W equivalents and not Kelvin temp rated, but are definitely cooler than standards or incandescents, and are good enough to work pretty well with AWB. They are made by FEIT Electric.

I also did a search for "5400K bulb" in "camera & photo" on ebay and got a pretty good assortment of bulbs and dealers. I haven't dealt with any of these, so it's pretty much "pays yur money, and takes yur chances", but at least you have feedback ratings for what they are worth.

You can also look up Sylvania, GE, and Phillips as suppliers and see what's available from them.

Sounds like you're really getting into this new project. . . I think it's pretty cool that you want to try this -- it's pretty intimidating, but hopefully a nice learning experience.

Scott

Oh yeah, and remember that they take a while to reach full brightness, so turn these on ahead of time to let them stabilize.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:47 PM   #5

I have ordered from www.1000bulbs.com and got what I paid for. Mind you, these were simply intended for lighting the house, not photography, but they do rate their bulbs by kelvin.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:30 PM   #6

I look forward to what you came up with because I am interested in making my own setup to learn a little bit about studio lights. I am in the researching stage right now because I know nothing about studio lighting.

Keep us posted at what setup you used and how the outcome of it.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:56 PM   #7

i use daylight bulbs in my studye house.soft white in the rest of th.. i just made a light box light. let me see if i can find a shot of it.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:00 PM   #8

forgot i had online.
this is the beta model. i see now how to add fully adjustable lights.. center column is adj now..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:56 PM   #9

T a k e. . . m e . . . t o . . . y o u r . . . . . . l e ad e r :lol:

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:54 PM   #10

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

I've been slowly replacing my regular compact flourescents with "daylight" ones. Makes WB when chasing the cats around easier. Around here, they are stocked at most of the big box hardware stores like Menards and Home Depot at @ $6.00 each. These are 100W equivalents and not Kelvin temp rated, but are definitely cooler than standards or incandescents, and are good enough to work pretty well with AWB. They are made by FEIT Electric.

I also did a search for "5400K bulb" in "camera & photo" on ebay and got a pretty good assortment of bulbs and dealers. I haven't dealt with any of these, so it's pretty much "pays yur money, and takes yur chances", but at least you have feedback ratings for what they are worth.

You can also look up Sylvania, GE, and Phillips as suppliers and see what's available from them.

Sounds like you're really getting into this new project. . . I think it's pretty cool that you want to try this -- it's pretty intimidating, but hopefully a nice learning experience.

Scott

Oh yeah, and remember that they take a while to reach full brightness, so turn these on ahead of time to let them stabilize.
Thanks Scott. I have been "getting into this" very deep. I am a great starter but a poor finisher sometimes. Daylight was my choice as well but I needed some input as to which one others have used. I have started my own version of a "soft box". Two actually. Made from a 1/8" thick acrylic plastic sheet. I'll post more on that later.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote