Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:58 PM   #11

Hey Pen,
what strikes me the most is how you managed to get such even exposure on what appears to be a nice sunny day! only #7 & 8 show a slight over expose on the very brightest highlights.
very nice work.
I love em all!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:01 PM   #12

Hi Penolta

All very nice, especially Nos 4 and 8.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:16 PM   #13

Penolta-

A very well done series. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:39 PM   #14

Great stuff Penolta!

The whites hunting behavior compared to the brown is pretty cool. The way they herd the bait as a group.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:41 PM   #15

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Penolta,

Fabulous stuff! I was impressed with the first shot, all these big white guys swimming in formation. I'm constantly trying to get my birds to form up, but they don't seem to understand, so I'm immediately jealous. Then I started scrolling down, and they're in formation in all of them!

I'm nominating them to either compete in the synchronized swimming in the next Summer Olympics, or at least get them an audition at Radio City Music Hall. . .:-)

Scott
Thanks, Scott. If you like sunchronized swimming, be sure to check out the synchronized diving in the other thread (link is above the first frame here).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:44 PM   #16

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Hey Pen,
what strikes me the most is how you managed to get such even exposure on what appears to be a nice sunny day! only #7 & 8 show a slight over expose on the very brightest highlights.
very nice work.
I love em all!
GW:bye:
Thanks, GW. It was a sunny day - very bright. I credit the DR of the K20's CMOS sensor, the coatings on the DA 55-300, and most importantly, the highlight/shadow tool in PSE. I tried tonimg down the last two some more, but I lost too much shadow detail in the first, and the transluscence of the pouches in the last.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:47 PM   #17

Thanks, Patty, bb2, Sarah, and Dennis for looking and commenting. Much appreciated.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:45 PM   #18

Amazing, both the behaviour and your pictures.

When I was a kid pelicans were my favourite birds, even though I had never seen one in real life. My only source of "knowledge" was the Disney-type films you mentioned in the other thread.

Thanks for posting!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:44 PM   #19

Wonderful pictures.

We get lots of American White Pelicans up here during the summer. They breed on isolated islands in very large lakes. We see a lot of them , in fact late August this year I saw groups of 30 + or so on a regular basis on the Red River, by the Lock port Dam, which is located about 25 miles or so north of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Sometime in September...they were gone, migrating south. I think they re-appear up here around May.

Are those AWP year round in your area, or do they migrate from the north in the fall?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:06 PM   #20

Thanks Kjell and lensmore.

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful pictures.
*Are those AWP year round in your area, or do they migrate from the north in the fall?
These are migratory, only wintering in coastal Southern California in relatively small mumbers for the species, moving about betweeen park lakes, estuaries, reservoirs, and what we charitably call"rivers" as there is relatively little inlsnd water to support them. There are more on the Salton Sea, but they do not breed there, which is fortunate, because it is so polluted by agricultural runnoff. Where these come from I do not know, as they breed in sduitable locations throughout the US and Canada west of the Mississippi.