Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:56 PM   #21

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, GW. It was a sunny day - very bright. I credit the DR of the K20's CMOS sensor, the coatings on the DA 55-300, and most importantly, the highlight/shadow tool in PSE. I tried tonimg down the last two some more, but I lost too much shadow detail in the first, and the transluscence of the pouches in the last.
Pen, the last two look fine like they are. I wasn't really criticizing so much as I was complimenting on how well they turned out!
the more I see what you can do with that 55-300mm the more I think I should get one. I passed up a chance to get one a couple weeks ago for $269... now I wish I had gotten it.
Oh well, next time. :G
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 4:16 PM   #22

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
the last two look fine like they are. I wasn't really criticizing so much as I was complimenting on how well they turned out!
the more I see what you can do with that 55-300mm the more I think I should get one. I passed up a chance to get one a couple weeks ago for $269... now I wish I had gotten it.
Oh well, next time. :G
GW:bye:
GW, no harm, no foul. I didn't take it as criticism - I was only trying to point out that there was still more detail in the bright areas that could have been brought out if desired.

I paid $329 for mine and thought that was good. There were cheaper ones available, but not from US authorized dealers, so they had no US warranty (there are other enclosures provided so you know it is domestic; no warranty card is provided, but they will know by serial number and you can register it online if you desire).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:53 PM   #23

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Kjell and lensmore.

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful pictures.
Are those AWP year round in your area, or do they migrate from the north in the fall?
These are migratory, only wintering in coastal Southern California in relatively small mumbers for the species, moving about betweeen park lakes, estuaries, reservoirs, and what we charitably call"rivers" as there is relatively little inlsnd water to support them. There are more on the Salton Sea, but they do not breed there, which is fortunate, because it is so polluted by agricultural runnoff. Where these come from I do not know, as they breed in sduitable locations throughout the US and Canada west of the Mississippi.
I know they breed in Manitoba on 'Pelican' islands at some of the larger lakes we have up here. Manitoba is quite a large area with many isolated lakes, full of fish. Which would probably suit their breeding needs quite well.
I just did a bit of research and apparently much breeding takes place on islands at Lake Winnipeg. The Red River, where the Lock Port Dam is, flows into Lake Winnipeg.
I am surprised as although I knew AWP bred here, didn't realize so many did.

http://www.greatcanadianlakes.com/ma.../eco_page3.htm
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:51 AM   #24

i have great trouble taking photos of black and white birds
your exposure is great
and the action and story in these photos is wonderful
i cant pick a favourite

personally i would crop the water of the top of 6 though
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:51 AM   #25

i agree

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:58 AM   #26

Robar-

That's dead on exposure, while keeping control of the contrast as well. Nicely done.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:09 AM   #27

Thanks Gumnut and Roy, for looking and commenting.

Good one, Roy.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote