Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:34 PM   #1

I need a part for the above camera. I tried to email Samsung, and two days have past. The trouble is, I do not know the name of the part! I did find a web site that listed many parts for for the Gx-1L, so I hope someone here can name that part for me.
The part is the piece that is above the mirror, that is made of plastic. It has the []
centering brackets on it, is frosted white and seals off the prism chamber above. I scratched mine really bad, as I didn't realize it was plastic.
Please someone help, I really need to fix this before Christmas

Thanks
--
Allamand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:59 AM   #2

The part is called the focusing screen. These are easily replaceable, and you should be able to find one at most major camera stores. B&H Photo Video, or Adorama should have them in stock. You may also want to check KEH.com for used parts.

Good luck.

brian

BTW, this should have been posted in the Pentax/Samsung DSLR section. You probably would have gotten a quicker response.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 5:24 AM   #3
Administrator

I just moved the thread to the Pentax / Samsung dSLR Forum, where Pentax dSLR owners can offer suggestions, with pros and cons of different focus screens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:29 AM   #4

Hello,

Does this affect the operation of the camera? Can it still focus and shoot and the exposure still come out?

It might just be cosmetic. (ie. Only you see it in the viewfinder. Camera doesn't notice it.)

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:56 AM   #5

Definitely the focusing screen. Very annoying when you get dirt or scratch them, and they are very easy to scratch.

Doesn't the screen that fits the DS fit the DL also? It seems to me it does, but now I don't remember. There's something floating around in my mind that the DL's screen wasn't supposed to be removable, but it turned out it was and would work with the screens made for the DS. It was several years ago when that conversation went on around here.

There are several options - you can get official Pentax screens that have the third lines marked on them, the ones with brackets (the one that comes on the camera) or you can go to someone like Katz Eye and get a split screen, like the ones used on old film cameras (useful if you do a lot of manual focus, I keep thinking of buying one but never do).

A quick search of B&H's website turned up

Pentax LI-60 AF Scale Matte Focusing Screen for *ist Series Digital Cameras
at a cost of $39.95 (has scaled lines vertical and horizontal). Make sure you get the one for the *ist series cameras - the one in the K series cameras is different. The LF-60 appears to be the one that has the brackets, like the original focus screen. The LL-60 is the one with the third lines marked.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 3:17 AM   #6

Hello,

I read a thread on the web that the Katzeye with the split focus option might affect metering. [Because it was right in the center where the camera reads its center-weighted metering from.]

They ended up getting a Katzeye, but decided not to get the split focus aid in order to avoid the potential affect on the metering, but got the extra bright focus screen.

They were trying to convince Katzeye to make a screen with the split focus aid slightly off-center to avoid this problem.

I lost the thread and never found out how it ended.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote