Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:02 PM   #1

Right now is the best time to buy the Pentax K20D. The price has dropped and amazon is giving out some really good freebies.

I just got an email today from amazon saying that I can get %20 off selected Sigma lens if I buy ANY Pentax body. Even though they said lens, it also works for the Sigma 540 super flash and the Pentax 18-250mm lens!

Here is the link. THIS IS NOT A REFER LINK. I DO NOT GET ANY CREDIT FOR THIS!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000316161

If you buy any pentax body, you also get the free pentax bag and the extra 2 years warranty.
If you buy the K20D, you also get a free Pentax PnS, the Pentax A40. They had the free Pentax A40 deal just last week but it expired. Now it is back.

So here is what I bought.
-Pentax K20D (body only) $742
-Sigma 540 DG Super flash $220 -%20($40) about $180
-Pentax bag FREE
-Pentax A40 FREE
-Pentax BG $115 (No special here, just wanted it)

Really I have no need for the Pentax bag or the Pentax A40, but its free why not? I will try to sell the camera and the bag to help pay for the cost of the K20D.
The camera should be here on Friday, I can't wait.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:09 PM   #2

Well done! I'd keep the bag - you can always use another bag and the Pentax one is quite nice. And what's wrong with having a p&s as a back-up? That's really a great deal - almost wish I needed another camera (NOT!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:22 PM   #3

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Well done! I'd keep the bag - you can always use another bag and the Pentax one is quite nice. And what's wrong with having a p&s as a back-up? That's really a great deal - almost wish I needed another camera (NOT!).
I have the Lowpro 200 slingbag as my main bag. That bag is almost identical compared with the Pentax one. I may keep the pentax bag just for the Pentax name.
:lol:

But the Pentax A40, I don't want. I already have two really good PnS digital camera, the Panasonic FX01(my wife's camera) and the Fuji F40fd so I don't need another one. I hope I can get about $150 for the Pentax A40.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:29 PM   #4

Then it makes sense to sell the extra camera.

I thought the Pentax bag was more the size of the Slingshot 100, while the 200 was larger. But I've never actually seen one in person so I'm not sure. If it is smaller, then you'll have a smaller bag when you want to go lighter. If the same size, just hang onto it until your slingshot wears out. I'm on my second one, and very well might have bought the largest Kata instead, if it hadn't been for a good deal on the Slingshot at Costco recently.

P.S. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures with the K20 and find out how you get along with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:15 PM   #5

Cool superakuma! I've been watching the prices all week. Just got an e-mail from Adorama. Price on the K20 with the 18-55 lens - $699.99. That's better than the $704 on Amazon I found last night for body only. I'm going to be patient for 17 more days hoping someone will have one under the tree for me. Although, he told me this morning that if it isn't going to take better photos than the K100 it's not worth it. This could be a test of the wills.

I can be patient! I can be patient! I can be patient!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:21 PM   #6

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Cool superakuma! I've been watching the prices all week. Just got an e-mail from Adorama. Price on the K20 with the 18-55 lens - $699.99. That's better than the $704 on Amazon I found last night for body only. I'm going to be patient for 17 more days hoping someone will have one under the tree for me. Although, he told me this morning that if it isn't going to take better photos than the K100 it's not worth it. This could be a test of the wills.

I can be patient! I can be patient! I can be patient!

Patty
I also got the email as well. I knew I should of waited, but oh well I got a great deal on it because of the freebies that I got. I saved $40 on the Sigma lens so I got it for about the same price! But instead of the stock lens I got a camera and a camera bag. That is how I am justifying it.
I am happy with my camera that I bought.

Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:13 PM   #7

nhmom-

You also have to take into consideration that www.amazon.com also has a 30 day no restocking fee, return policy. That is really important to me. You may see it differently, but I know that I can audition the camera for 30 days and really develop a good opinion of the purchase, and still get all my money back without the slightest quibble from www.amazon.com.

That is worth dollars ans cents to me, how about you??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:50 PM   #8

Maybe yes, maybe no. See Amazon's caveats on camera returns:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&nodeId=901896

And if you buy one that someone else has already used for 30 days, you have bought a used camera!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:48 PM   #9

penolta-

I have never had the smallest/ zero problems at all in returning a camera. And I have returned over 27 cameras, and bought 3. After 23 years in the U.S. Navy, I go with the age old Navy adage. "If it works, use it!"

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:32 AM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
nhmom-

You also have to take into consideration that http://www.amazon.com also has a 30 day no restocking fee, return policy. That is really important to me. You may see it differently, but I know that I can audition the camera for 30 days and really develop a good opinion of the purchase, and still get all my money back without the slightest quibble from http://www.amazon.com.

That is worth dollars ans cents to me, how about you??

Sarah Joyce
It's not a question of whether I'll like it or not. I've tested it out a few times in shops around here. The problem is convincing my husband that it's worth the investment when I already have the K100. What do I need another camera for? (That's the hubby speaking, not me:-))

He asked what I wanted for Christmas the other day and I said I didn't really know. I'd been focusing on what to get others right now. His response was, "But, you'd like the K20?". Of which I responded to him, I certainly wouldn't object. So, I'm just trying to see if he will buy it for me and I'm not ruining it for him by just getting it. My only hope is the prices stay this low (or lower would be even better) and I'm thinking trying to get in on the 3 year warranty can't hurt either.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote