Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:51 AM   #1

Hello

My son will be graduating from High School this coming May and will be entering college as a photojournalism major. My planis to buy him a DSLR for a graduation gift. Earlier this year I almost pulled the trigger on an Olympus 520 with the two kit lens because everytime I wanted to use my Pentax K100d my son was using it. He prefers the Pentax to the Sony H2 I bought for him two years ago but I decided I could share the K100 with him. After much research, I felt the K200d would be a very good camera for him as he really enjoys the K100d. I've researched the new KM and I really don't think it is a good value compared to the K200. Problem now is that the K200 is being discontined and may not be available next April when I planned to purchase it. I really want to buy him the Pentax as I feel it is an excellent camera at a good price and I can contribute a memory card, an extra lens and a camera bag from my K100d collection. So the question is do I buy the K200d now and hold on to it until May or take my chances that it may still be available or a new improved, probably more expensive version will be out? Thanks for any advice.

MJW
mjw48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:37 AM   #2

MJW-

Well I just came from a K100 to a K200 because of the thought that the supply will be dwindling as time moves onward. I was able to buy the body only at www.amazon.com for around $(US) 470.00.

Amazon hasa 30 no fee/no hassle return policy, so I figured that if the price took a nose dive after Christmas I was still protected. The issue, at least to me, was the fact that there was no realistic way to determine how many K200's remain in inventory.

'Just my .02 cents worth on the issue. Its a tough one, or at least it was for me.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:01 AM   #3

mjw48 wrote:
Quote:
Hello

My son will be graduating from High School this coming May and will be entering college as a photojournalism major. My planis to buy him a DSLR for a graduation gift. Earlier this year I almost pulled the trigger on an Olympus 520 with the two kit lens because everytime I wanted to use my Pentax K100d my son was using it. He prefers the Pentax to the Sony H2 I bought for him two years ago but I decided I could share the K100 with him. After much research, I felt the K200d would be a very good camera for him as he really enjoys the K100d. I've researched the new KM and I really don't think it is a good value compared to the K200. Problem now is that the K200 is being discontined and may not be available next April when I planned to purchase it. I really want to buy him the Pentax as I feel it is an excellent camera at a good price and I can contribute a memory card, an extra lens and a camera bag from my K100d collection. So the question is do I buy the K200d now and hold on to it until May or take my chances that it may still be available or a new improved, probably more expensive version will be out? Thanks for any advice.

MJW
I say buy it now so you can enjoy it for the holiday.
If you use this link here from amazon you can get %20 off some Sigma lens or the Pentax 18-250mm lens.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000316161

Also add the free Pentax slingbag for free.
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-85121-D...G4W8Z6Z804VDH4

I just ordered my K20d, and took advantage of all of those offer.Since I ordered the K20d, I also get a free Pentax A40.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:53 PM   #4

Not sure what the status is of the K200D. Apparently it was on the Pentax Japan English language list of discontinued cameras, but has been removed from that list, although it is still on the Japanese language list. It is still current on Pentax USA. Maybe they are waiting for the holiday season to pass so they can get rid of unsold stock before making it official in the English speaking world (it has been rumored to be in short supply in Asia), but one would think if the rumored successor K300D were ready for introduction it would have been shown at the last trade show.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:07 PM   #5

If you can swing it, I would recommend the K20d for someone interested in pursuing photojournalism. The extra controls on the body are very useful and he probably would not use the "scene modes" on the K200d very often. The price is certainly right on both models right now and even after the new ones are released, it will be some months before they are selling below MSRP.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:35 PM   #6

I too would go for the K20D instead of the K200.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:04 PM   #7

Hi,

Thanks to all for your opinions. It is a tough choice whether to buy now or wait. I hadn't thought about the K20, a lot of camera for only $830 with lens but I was trying to keep to a $700-800 budget. Within that budget, I could buy the K200d with kit lens, battery grip with a battery charger, and a 70--300 Tamron lens. I would fill in with a memory card, camera bag and a 50--200 Pentax lens from my own equipment. I thinkthat is apretty decent starter package.

Right now I'm inclined to wait to just after the new year, buy the package, test itand hold it until graduation in May. I would hope that the K200 inventory will hold until next month. The Nikon D80 was discontinued a number of months ago and that camera is still available new.

MJW
mjw48 is offline   Reply With Quote