Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:01 PM   #1

Oftentimes, we sort of regret having to haul around an external flash too in our camera cases. Or sometimes you are are way back and want more flash range than you can get with the camera's built-in flash, so you go to a Pentax 50-200mm lens and this little set up can give you 35-40 feet of flash range.

Its a slave flash. I bought this one at a Garage Sale for $2.00. Yep, I had to buy fresh batteries for it, but it works perfectly. You might wonder how can a Sony brand slave flash work with a Pentax K-100 or K-200 etc?

Slave flashes are triggered by light of the camera's built-in flash. So there is no synch cord or any connection at all. Even better, you can dial in how much slave flash you want. Thus, it will work close up or out to about 40 feet. A slave flash will work with any camera that has a built-in flash.

So here is the first photo showing the set-up. In the next post I will give you a sample photo to show you what it can do.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:03 PM   #2

Here is a photo taken fairly close (about 10 feet) to prove that the Sony brand slave flash could "throttle back" the extra light when necessary.

You never know what you will find at a garage sale!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:51 PM   #3

With a slave flash - do you have to get one that ignores the pre-flash of the PTTL system? Or is it not bright enough to trigger the slave?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:18 PM   #4

Harriet-

Most advanced slave flashes can easily avoid the pre-flash problems. It is really amazing what a slave flash can add to your flash photos, all in a very small package.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:31 PM   #5

Hey Sarah,
I was thinking of getting a couple of those and make a mount for them so I could use them for macro shots.
GW:bye:

Tell hubby if he puts the ear piece of the head phones over the ear he'll get better sound!

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:50 PM   #6

Goldwinger-

I hesitate to say this, BUT he keeps one earpiece off his ear, so that he can hear what I have to say to him. I guess that I talk too much to him.

I have seen a circleor ring flash constructed by using a series of LED lights when shooting Macro photos, but not a series of slave flashes.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:11 AM   #7

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Harriet-

Most advanced slave flashes can easily avoid the pre-flash problems. It is really amazing what a slave flash can add to your flash photos, all in a very small package.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

I too have been wondering how you got around the P-TTL preflash, I have noticed though that I only detect the preflash ( which is very pronounced)when using an

outboard unit with the K100D. Using the K100d with onboard flash, I can't say that the preflash is noticeable, I have always assumed it has much lower power, and this

is why I don't see it. Maybe this helps in avoiding the trigger on the preflash.

BTW, I did take a look around to see what prices your model of slave unit was bringing in the UK. All I can say is there are no 2$ bargains to be had this side of the

pond. LOL. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:19 AM   #8

sarah???

LOL, but your're still carrying the external along with something else to carry:blah:
welcome back.. are you still doing the cruise circuit ??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:47 AM   #9

Jack-

There are even slave flash that can be "trained" to ignore a fixed number of pre-flashes. I am sorry to hear about the lack of garage sale bargains in the UK.

Sarah Joyce.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:53 AM   #10

Hi, Robar- it good to hear from you-

Yes, I always carry something along in my kit/purse to provide a bit of external light when needed. This $2.00 slave flash is small enough to be no bother, weight-wise, and handy to have with you when needed.

Yes, my husband and I are stillteaching digital cameras on cruise ships about 10 months each year. We have an agreement that as long as it is fun, we will keep at it. When it becomes no longer fun, we head for home.

It is a great retirement gig. If there is not too much airfare involved, and you are gone for at least a month, it is cheaper than staying at home. We are now at home on a one month break before we go again on the Princess 2009 World Cruise.

Sarah Joyce