Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:22 PM   #1

I finally moved up to the K20D from my K100D. I got a great deal on it as well, with many freebies.
I made this post a few days ago about the deal that I got with amazon and it is still going on.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

I got the camera yesterday and Mr. UPS didn't come until 8pm or so, like always with UPS, I am the last stop. I only got a chance to play with the camera, no real shots. Just got home from work today and did a few test shot and I am amazed how much different this is compared to the K100D.

Switching from the K100D to the K20D felt like Plato's Allegory of the cave. I've been really happy with the K100D and had no problem with it. Just like the people living in the cave, everything seems normal and wonderful until you step outside of the cave. There is SOO much more with the K20D then the K100D and you don't know what you are missing until you trully experiance it. There are so many buttons you can customize and many more buttons you can press or turn. The image quality and low light abilty is trully amazing.

One of the first noticable improve with the camera is the quality of the LCD compared to the K100D. You can zoom in without seeing a big blur mess like you would with the K100D. Also the color/exposure of the LCD seems to be more accurate as well and this is out the box.

I think of the biggest difference between this and the lower Pentax models besides the image quality is the user ablity to customize the buttons. I think this is one of the best features about the camera. Also the lay out is much better because many of the useful features are not burried inside the menu.

Overall I am very happy with the camera and I can't wait to take it to Yosemite and push the limit of the 14MP.

If anyone is still thinking if they should get it or wait, I say get it. Come out the cave and see the light.
:G

I am going to go out and do some night light shooting right now.

-SAi

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:18 PM   #2

Isn't it a nice camera? There's just so much to learn though - I'm still learning where things are and experimenting with how it all works, and I've had my K20 for at least 6 months. But it's been great fun!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:27 PM   #3

Congratulations. I know you will use it well.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:34 PM   #4

I'm so happy for you my friend!
I'm going absolutely crazy waiting for my refund check from Samsung for my defective GX10D. they have been promising they would be sending it within 10 to 14 days for the last 2 months! soon as I get the check in my fat little hand, I'm ordering the K20 and I'm willing to pay extra for overnight shipping too!
:?
hope you have a blast with yours!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:49 PM   #5

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
I'm going absolutely crazy waiting for my refund check from Samsung for my defective GX10D. they have been promising they would be sending it within 10 to 14 days for the last 2 months!* soon as I get the check in my fat little hand, I'm ordering the K20 and I'm willing to pay extra for overnight shipping too!
GW, be sure to purchase it before the end of this month, as the three year warranty offer is due to expire then - you can't bank on their extending it. As you have painfully found out, the more there is to a camera, the more there is that can go wrong - and this one is a very complex device! Some of the earlier purchasers on this forum have had problems, although there have been no recent complaints, so they may have ironed out spme early production bugs. Anyone else who might be contemplating a purchase in the near future might want to keep this in mind regardless of the fact that there are such otherwise good deals available now.

Sai, the K100 is still a handy and capable camera - to my mind, the biggest difference for every day photography is the CMOS sensor vs the CCD - that, plus the adjustments made to the in-camera image recording defaults produces an image that requires less post processing adjustment. More advanced photography is another matter, so the decision to move up may depend largely on what one does with their images and how far one wants to go with photography. Many people may not use or even need the advanced features of the higher end models, and will be quite satisfied with the images attainable with the K100, as we were when it was at the high end. When they have grown enough in photography to have reached the limits of the camera's capability and want to go beyond, then is the time to make the move - merely buying a more advanced camera will not substantially improve ones pictures by itself, as the camera only takes the picture, while it is the photographer who makes it. For me, it was the increased speed and accuracy of the K20's autofocus, especially at the telephoto end, which was the greatest motivation, and I have not been disappointed. It sounds like you are ready, so congratulations and use it well!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:24 PM   #6

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
I'm going absolutely crazy waiting for my refund check from Samsung for my defective GX10D. they have been promising they would be sending it within 10 to 14 days for the last 2 months! soon as I get the check in my fat little hand, I'm ordering the K20 and I'm willing to pay extra for overnight shipping too!
GW, be sure to purchase it before the end of this month, as the three year warranty offer is due to expire then - you can't bank on their extending it. As you have painfully found out, the more there is to a camera, the more there is that can go wrong - and this one is a very complex device! Some of the earlier purchasers on this forum have had problems, although there have been no recent complaints, so they may have ironed out spme early production bugs. Anyone else who might be contemplating a purchase in the near future might want to keep this in mind regardless of the fact that there are such otherwise good deals available now.

Sai, the K100 is still a handy and capable camera - to my mind, the biggest difference for every day photography is the CMOS sensor vs the CCD - that, plus the adjustments made to the in-camera image recording defaults produces an image that requires less post processing adjustment. More advanced photography is another matter, so the decision to move up may depend largely on what one does with their images and how far one wants to go with photography. Many people may not use or even need the advanced features of the higher end models, and will be quite satisfied with the images attainable with the K100, as we were when it was at the high end. When they have grown enough in photography to have reached the limits of the camera's capability and want to go beyond, then is the time to make the move - merely buying a more advanced camera will not substantially improve ones pictures by itself, as the camera only takes the picture, while it is the photographer who makes it. For me, it was the increased speed and accuracy of the K20's autofocus, especially at the telephoto end, which was the greatest motivation, and I have not been disappointed. It sounds like you are ready, so congratulations and use it well!
You are right so I will rephrase my answer. If anyone who is thinking about upgrading to the K20D because they have outgrown there K100D it is worth it.

Last night I was not able to get out to test out my camera. The weather is not corroperating with me.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote