Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:50 PM   #1

Robert Barnett asked in another thread about shooting Christmas lights. This evening, I had my first opportunity of the season to visit the local botanical garden's annual Holiday Lights Festival. My wife had the K10/FA*50-135 combo I used for this last year, so I had to put the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 on the K20. I was a little surprised at how different my results were. I had to use a higher ISO, then adjust the EV down as much as a full stop to not blow out the light bulbs. In addition, white balance was much more unstable because of different types of lights being used in the display. A few random shots.

Coincident with our visit was a tuba concert by the tubas from a nearby university (great music, BTW, amazing how much range these talented young people got out of their tubas). I liked the reflection of the lights in the bell of the tuba in this one.

I used a variety of settings on these, but all were shot in Av mode,with ISO's from 800 to 2500. f/settings were generallyh a little off the widest, but generally on the wide end.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:03 AM   #2

Nicely captured with the lights standing out well against the black background.

I particularly liked the last shot with the reflections in the 'bell' of the Euphonium - well seen.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:09 AM   #3

Very nicely done!Interesting that you had trouble with white balance, the only time I noticed it was when I was shooting something that only had yellow lights up - otherwise the camera did pretty well on its own with colored lights (which actually did surprise me as my experience with funny lighting has been to have odd results). Just goes to show that experimenting and reviewing your shots in these types of situations becomes very important (and shoot raw if you can).

I love the tuba player, brilliant shot!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:36 AM   #4

A great series Paul and the tuba player is really the icing on the cake.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:56 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Can't say anymore than what the others have already posted! Nice work. I'd be interested to know which pictures used the Sigma lens vs. the DA*50-135 (unfortunately I cannot read the Exif).
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:50 PM   #6

Paul-

They are all great, but the tuba player is my favorite. Nice shooting.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:35 PM   #7

Great photos Paul. Gotta get out and do some of these.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:48 PM   #8

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
I'd be interested to know which pictures used the Sigma lens vs. the DA*50-135 (unfortunately I cannot read the Exif).

Jelpee, all of these were taken with the Sigma lens. My wife was shooting with the 50-135 on the K10. She hasn't edited hers yet, so I only posted ones I took. I was a little disappointed with the speed of focus on moving light displays, even though the lens is the HSM version, but otherwise I was very pleased with the job it did.

Harriet, I wound up going to automatic white balancing and the camera did a better job than I did in selecting the proper balance.

Thanks for the kind words, all. The display is really one of the highlights of the holiday season in Hot Springs. I couldn't help but laugh, though, about one thing. We could have had a pretty good camera fair--lots and lots of different types of kits and an interesting number of people lugging around tripods, so I would kind of suspect my shots are FAR from unique, lol.

Paul

BTW, anyone interested in seeing the whole series can view it at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trojans...7610818197269/

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:06 PM   #9

Superb, Paul.

Much better than mine I took Saturday on the way home from shopping. Between shivering from the 25ºF and not using my tripod, I should have known better. :-) Of course, today it was 8ºF when I left for work this morning.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:17 PM   #10

they are all well exposed
but the tuba shot is great
it shows some creative thinking and a good eye
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote