Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:44 PM   #1

Or not to buy... that is the question.

Hi guys

Long time steves user and still a kyocera m410r user (currently sitting at 15000+ shots and still going )

been looking for an upgrade to the camera, something with a faster focus speed better low light performance and something that is as quick as the kyocera (3.3fps cont) was originally looking at the canons and then the nikons and then sometime ago noticed the pentax cameras (k100, k10d) and liked the fact they werent a big brand and seemed to offer slightly more in the way of value!

anyway was toying with a k20d for a christmas pressie, but due to commitments renovating the house im in no hurry to spend the money on a camera even tho i desperately want one (what a conflict!) My dilemma is do i get the K20d or do i wait that few months (or year!) and see what the k30d brings?

oh the reason i need a faster camera? the kyocera isnt always fast enough.. hand held full zoom on a boat... unprocessed! it was magical

i also notice there are a few perth pentax users on here too as a bonus!

thanks guys

Steve

5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:48 PM   #2

gday, Steve,
just my personal opinion, I'd go for the K20 asap!
price is coming down every week down around $700 usd right now. I suspect it will come down a little more in another week or two
Cheers,
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:17 PM   #3

Welcome to the group, Steve.

I say buy! That's because I want to. But, as GW said, the prices will probably drop more in another week or so. If my hubbie isn't already thinking of it, he can't turn me down if I ask then. Well, maybe he could. :-)

Anyway, I did a lot of shopping for my first dSLR back in 2006 before making the plunge to Pentax. Really liked how the Pentax felt in my hand, liked the old lens options, liked I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to get one.... I could go on and on. I don't think you'll go wrong if you opt for Pentax. I certainly don't regret my K100D and look forward to upgrading to the K20 soon.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:50 AM   #4

Hi Steve

Good whale capture. Is that offshore from Fremantle? K20D still pricey here in Perth. JBHiFI have it for about $1400 AUD.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 4:23 AM   #5

Thanks guys... im still not sure mainly as bb2 says.. its still pretty pricey. Im sure i can better $1400 but i'll probably have to source it from over east.. and as i said im not in a rush cause of reno's but am as im desperate to up the quality of shot. The kyocera is starting to die too with a few hot pixels becoming apparent! its very well travelled and very abused!

i keep looking at the rumours of the K30, of which there doesnt seem too much on here.. i guess your waiting for facts

As for the whale BB2 yes it was about 2/3's of the way to rottnest as you go in a straight line from the south marker just off scarborough beach. We saw about 20 whales that day 2 of which were breaching. the week before we saw about 5 and the week after we saw another couple. Weather hasnt been great for any more tho.. it gets pretty bumpy out there.

i may go and try and negotiate a price at JB.. just to see what they can do!

thanks for the enthusiasm guys

Steve
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:50 AM   #6

Steve-

That is a nice whale capture. Welcome!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:17 PM   #7

g'day Steve

they sell the 20D at JB's???
i have only seen the 200D
i will have to change where i shop

Camera house may drop the price if you ask nicely
and they will have a better range of lenses to look at too

Pentax Australia do not honour warrenties of cameras, lenses, etcbought overseas or imported from overseas, so watch online dealers

welcome to the group

North or South of the river ??
LOL
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:24 PM   #8

thank MT

Gumnut it was BB2 who said jb sold them, i have only seen the 200d locally at their stores but i know they vary wildly with stocks over perth.

i knew that pentax dont honour foreign camera warranties but thanks for the reminder!

North of the river.. kinross to be precise (or as some of my friends call it.. south geraldton!)

thanks

Steve
Old Dec 11, 2008, 6:12 PM   #9

I bought my istDS and K20D at JBH in the Hay St mall. They still have K20D for sale.

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote