Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:51 PM   #11

Mtnman - Your idea of using a spotting scope with the camera is excellent! It would definitely be the thing to buy if you were going to use the burst mode much for tracking moving objects. As far as upgrading, the current prices of the K20 are awesome, and really well worth it. Computers aren't as good a deal, they can be bought any time, right? :blah:

GW - The burst mode is only 1.5 mp pictures (as I recall the wide side was under 1,600 pixels by some amount) and I'm not sure that the quality is adjustable/would have that much affect with file size. In any case, it's not so much that the individual frames are so big, it's when you add (say) 20 of them into the same file. The one I posted is only 15 frames, I think, and 400 pixels wide, but still ended up beingaround 4 mb.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:16 PM   #12

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Mtnman - Your idea of using a spotting scope with the camera is excellent!* It would definitely be the thing to buy if you were going to use the burst mode much for tracking moving objects.*
If anyone is interested in using a Red Dot sight for this, or for spotting with a very long lens, Photosolve makes a mount that fits into the camera's hot shoe for $25.

http://www.photosolve.com/main/produ...ght/index.html

It's nicely made, and has dovetails for both sizes of mounts (.22 and air gun scopes use the smaller size and centerfire rifles use the larger size). The hot shoe fit is snug enough so that you shouldn't have to adjust the sight after removing it and remounting.

I have both a Daisy (IIRC @$10), and a Tasco (which was a gift), which is more expensive, but also considerably larger and heavier. Both use those disc batteries, so if you get one, buy a few spare batteries.

Like mtnman, I originally bought these items to try BIF with the FZ30, but now mostly use it as a spotting scope for locating birds in the bush when using a longer than 300mm lens, and it works great for this. The most important thing to remember is to turn the thing off -- I can't even count the number of batteries that I've burned through with only one use because I forgot to turn it off

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:15 PM   #13

Neat, Harriet. Loads fast for me, too, and my TW connection isn't exactly warp speed, either. PSE6 has this feature, too (and comes with Bridge CS3), so it can be done without Photoshop. There are also a bunch of freeware/shareware GIF animator programs out there for Windows users to try out, but unfortunately, very few for MACs.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:07 AM   #14

Excellent work. I have been reading reviews on the new Dslrs coming out with HD video capability. While I have not done much with video previously I think that is going to be the next "must have" feature and I find the idea very attractive. Hopefully the next Pentax can incorporate something similar.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:57 AM   #15

Tim,

I've also been paying attention to what photojournalists are saying about video on DSLRs. The consenus I see is that it's a great feature for small clips - great for website content. But a DSLR just isn't a stable enough platform to shoot true video with yet except under very controlled circumstances which makes it kind of impractical. So, it really is ideally suited towards PJ use because of that. People looking to take home movies and such can still get infinitely better results with an HD video cam

I think you're right - it will be the demanded item - not unlike more megapixels has been the hot button item in the camera wars followed by live view (I've had a camera with live view for a year and a half and I've still never even tried it :G)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:59 AM   #16

I'm actually a little worried about where the dSLR market is going. I understand that manufacturers need to sell more cameras to stay in business, which means somehow differentiating their cameras from everyone else, and trying to sell something that sounds really cool to a perspective buyer. However, I also know that they don't always make a better product this way - my first digital camera was a much loved Sony F717. The main reason why I'm shooting with a dSLR camera is that when it died after about 4 years of faithful service, there was nothing currently being produced in the fixed lens category that could match the basic image quality.

I'm perfectly happy to keep upgrading if there's a reason, but not for special features that sound cool (video, live view etc.).

On the other hand, what I think is a must-have (like weather sealing!) would be another person's won't-use.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:49 PM   #17

I'm absolutely with you here, Harriet. My main dissatisfaction with my K20D is that it has too many features. I'd appreciate a super HQ camera with basic functions. No pop up flash (even though I just used it!:lol, no live view, basic exposure modes, SR (a very useful feature!). Personally I could even do without the AF, but maybe then I'd be the only buyer on this planet.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:02 PM   #18

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I'm absolutely with you here, Harriet. My main dissatisfaction with my K20D is that it has too many features. I'd appreciate a super HQ camera with basic functions. No pop up flash (even though I just used it!:lol, no live view, basic exposure modes, SR (a very useful feature!). Personally I could even do without the AF, but maybe then I'd be the only buyer on this planet.

Kjell
Count me in here! Give me high image quality, ISO choice in the 50-3200 range with (very) low noise, high dynamic range, fast and stable AF indication, accurate metering AND fool-proof auto WB and accurate color reproduction. Shake reduction, AUTO, P, Av, Tv, M, B and some basic scene modes (sports, landscape and that kind of stuff) are enough. 5+ images per second in RAW until the memory card is full, 2000+ images with one set of rechargeables. Easy accessable and usable controls for the basic stuff, including exposure compensation etc.

Nice to have:
- weather sealing
- swiveling display (yes, I sometimes do hold the camera in positions, where I could make use of it)

All the other fancy stuff is something for digicams and bridge cameras, that's what they are made for.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:30 PM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm actually a little worried about where the dSLR market is going. I understand that manufacturers need to sell more cameras to stay in business, which means somehow differentiating their cameras from everyone else, and trying to sell something that sounds really cool to a perspective buyer. However, I also know that they don't always make a better product this way - my first digital camera was a much loved Sony F717. The main reason why I'm shooting with a dSLR camera is that when it died after about 4 years of faithful service, there was nothing currently being produced in the fixed lens category that could match the basic image quality.

I'm perfectly happy to keep upgrading if there's a reason, but not for special features that sound cool (video, live view etc.).

On the other hand, what I think is a must-have (like weather sealing!) would be another person's won't-use.
Hi Harriet,

I'll cast my vote with you also -- I've read that Hoya has plans to put Pentax in a "rugged, weather and dust sealed, outdoorsy" kind of niche, appealing to those seeking durability in any environment. I can live with that. . .

First reports say that the K2000 has considerably improved AF, faster and much improved in low light than the K10. This bodes well for the K20 successor. I hope they stop at the current sensor, and concentrate on improving IQ with tweeked A/D processor and image engine. I've been disappointed too many times in the past when an mfg took a great camera, then added tremendous features, only to take a step backwards in IQ by succumbing to the MP race. At the DSLR level, I think that users are sophisticated enough to not be lulled by MP count above all else. . .

I also hope they let the other mfgs have HD video market along with the other "gimmick" features. I think if they concentrate on making good still cameras and lenses at good prices, concentrating on IQ rather than seldom used extra "features", then they'll do all right. . . but I'm pretty sure they won't be listening to me:?

Scott
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:30 PM   #20

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

Hi Harriet,

I'll cast my vote with you also -- I've read that Hoya has plans to put Pentax in a "rugged, weather and dust sealed, outdoorsy" kind of niche, appealing to those seeking durability in any environment. I can live with that. . .

First reports say that the K2000 has considerably improved AF, faster and much improved in low light than the K10. This bodes well for the K20 successor. I hope they stop at the current sensor, and concentrate on improving IQ with tweeked A/D processor and image engine. I've been disappointed too many times in the past when an mfg took a great camera, then added tremendous features, only to take a step backwards in IQ by succumbing to the MP race. At the DSLR level, I think that users are sophisticated enough to not be lulled by MP count above all else. . .

I also hope they let the other mfgs have HD video market along with the other "gimmick" features. I think if they concentrate on making good still cameras and lenses at good prices, concentrating on IQ rather than seldom used extra "features", then they'll do all right. . . but I'm pretty sure they won't be listening to me:?

Scott