Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:46 AM   #1

I drove over 600 miles today. I left my house at 9:30am and got back around 8pm. I wanted to go to Mt. Shasta but unfortunately I got lost. Kinda stupid of me because you can see Mt. Shasta over 50 miles away but I can't find a road that leads to it. So I ended up in Lassen National Park. By the time I got to Lassen National Park, the sun was getting ready to set. By the time I got to this lake, (don't know the name)the sun was setting behind me. I was able to snap this shot. While I was driving home I saw many great photo opportunity but I was not able to stop because the sun had set and it was too dark. I hope to go back soon.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:28 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Spectacular! The lake looks like a mirror and your composition & lighting is perfect!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:06 PM   #3

I think that shot was worth 600 miles driving!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:43 PM   #4

I think that shot right there mad the K20d purchase justifiable in anyone's mind!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:24 PM   #5

yea thats one that needs printing out and going on the wall

well done
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:57 PM   #6

Awesome shot! That would make the frustration well worth it.

When you go back to Lassen, make sure you allow yourself enough time to visit Bumpass Hell (1 1/2 mile trail to it). It's not as grand as Yellowstone, and much smaller, but still well worth the visit.

Is there much for roads around Mt. Shasta? It's always seemed to me to be pretty isolated, even if it stands out so much from I-5. I've not explored that area, but it sure is pretty!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 6:53 PM   #7

Beautiful shot. It may need a bit of tweaking as the horizon is a tad off. I remember riding my bike 20 miles up through Lassen Volcano National Park. It was a 5,000 ft climb and the group settled in Manzanita Lake campground near Hwy 89. The next day we climbed up the Crags. Man what a couple of tough days on the body. I was twenty five then and in the best shape of my life. The ride was a character builder for boys who were ward of the state. I was a counselor back then for troubled teens.

The ride started from Shingle Springs, Ca. all the way up to Klamath Falls, Ore. in eleven days.

If you have time, take the drive up to central Oregon Coast. Lots of wonderful places to shoot. Oh and check out Ashland, Ore. they have a Renaissance Fair there.

Sorry for the run-on there.

Love that shot!

Thanks for the memory jog.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:06 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Mtngal,
I never made it up Mt. Shasta. I "couldn't" find it. Serioully, I did NOT find it. I could see it from far away, but as I got closer, it just disappeared. I thought I passed Mt. Shasta so I just turned around and never made it. It wasn't until I got home and looked at the map again, that I found out Mt. Shasta was farther up north then I thought. That is how I ended up in Lassen. The next time I go there, I will have more time to explore the area. I will keep Bumpass Hill in mind. I just drove trough it this time. I didn't even pay to get in. I just snuck in so I didn't want to make many stops.
:O

vIZnquest.
Thanks, I didn't realized that the horizon was a little bit off.
Riding from Shingle Springs to Oregon is a LONG ride, even on a car!
I plan to go to Portland Oregan in the summer and I would love to take the scenic way along the coast. I just have to convence everyone else that is coming long to take 101 instead of I-5. How is the coast during the summer time?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:47 AM   #9

I'm not sure the horizon is off, I think it's the lake shore that isn't straight. To check the horizon, check if the mountain peak is straight over the mirrored mountain peak. I think it is.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:43 PM   #10

Beautiful shot. If you consider this trip as a scouting expedition for your next photographic endeavor, it sounds like you were quite successful.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote