Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 14, 2008, 3:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

Geotagging. This is off topic. Sort of. If you want to get the gps info into your image, (like street address or coordinates), this can be done with a set like what I have







The link shows a Asus small (UMPC) pc (Ira has one like the image above) whereas my UMPC is Acer Aspire (last image) running XP. I was used to be very active in gps newsgroup back a few years ago and I still have quite a few gps units around. But this would have been out of this world back just 3 yrs ago. You have to see the 3D running image of the 9" screen on a fast moving vehicle middle of the night .






I have no time filming a utube thing. This is more or less what you will see in my car


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb91I...eature=related


The price of gps has dropped like a stone - faster than k20D. Back 3 years we talked about $1500 a piece.
I have always been a non-Garmin user and I have stuck to non proprietory gps units until just now. I just ordered a Garmin gps unit plus map (N Am) and software at Can$69. For a GPS long time user, the price is just unreal but true.
I doubt if I have any need for recording exact gps location on my image. I guess Nikon has something similar but very very pricey.
But with this set up, all you need is to load up your image to the umpc (120G HD & 1 G memory) and batch copy those gps info onto the image. That is it

Another neat way is to capture the gps info screen (with a shareware ) in jpg and include in your dig album. And next time you see the album you can refer to that jpg for any gps location. Very cool way of recording what you have got

By the way there is a little cam on the top of the screen of the umpc. You can take pict of where you have visited and record the gps location (altitude above sea level, long and lat coordinate, street address, or hiking trail whereabout...........). So it is ok that you can leave you k20D at home.




This is the image of it when my umpc (Acer Aspire One )and gps are in operation in my car in a typical drive to out of State drive . You can visualise the relative size of the unit compared with the passenger side seat



The gps unit no more than the size of an older match box can usu be placed on the dashboard.

Once it is set up all you need is to follow the voice directional commands



Daniel





danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
kazuya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,007
Default

i guess i could do something similar using my mobile phone, its a Nokia n95 8gb with built in gps, theres a free program called nokia sports tracker that will plot your movements on screen, once done you can upload the results and see where you went on google earth type maps, whats good is if i take any pictures using the cameras phone they are automaticly inserted onto the map at the exact locatuion they were taken. so if i take a picture with my phone when im out with my pentax i could get the co-odinates that way.

the signal is quite good too, once its locked onto the sats i can pop the phone in my pocket and it keeps the signal.

heres a link to one of my walks to give you an idea how it works https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/...x.do?id=171491

not sure if you can see it or not, you might need to be a member to view them,
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

Guess the phone nowadays are not just phone anymore. Very powerful electronics. The map came out very clear with track and where u took image. Very cool use.
My umpc is more like a small full blown pc.

I think N95 is available in Canada and its service has just started. Will give a look when full service details is available

Daniel

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
i guess i could do something similar using my mobile phone, its a Nokia n95 8gb with built in gps, theres a free program called nokia sports tracker that will plot your movements on screen, once done you can upload the results and see where you went on google earth type maps, whats good is if i take any pictures using the cameras phone they are automaticly inserted onto the map at the exact locatuion they were taken. so if i take a picture with my phone when im out with my pentax i could get the co-odinates that way.

the signal is quite good too, once its locked onto the sats i can pop the phone in my pocket and it keeps the signal.

heres a link to one of my walks to give you an idea how it works https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/...x.do?id=171491

not sure if you can see it or not, you might need to be a member to view them,

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Trojansoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 3,724
Default

Daniel, that's a cool set-up. I may have to try to set something similar up.Isn't the little Acer a great little machine. I bought one about three months ago, loaded it witha basic software package, includingPhotoshop Elements 7, and just love it for taking out in the field when I'm shooting.

Paul


Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Daniel, that's a cool set-up. I may have to try to set something similar up.Isn't the little Acer a great little machine. I bought one about three months ago, loaded it witha basic software package, includingPhotoshop Elements 7, and just love it for taking out in the field when I'm shooting.

Paul

Paul or anyone who has a notebook or subnotebook of 13" or smaller,
this is a good deal to equip your handy UMPC with a simple usb gps and the full Garmin map of US & Can of 2009 at US$57

http://www.gpscity.ca/item-garmin-gp...em18usbdlx.htm

The gps comes with 2008 but an update to 2009 is provided. Just make sure you also order the newer 2009 free map the same time to save shipping cost - the item comes with 2008 map only.

I know a lot of people are ok with standalone gps which has come down a lot in price lately. But when it comes to planning your route of mapping (geotagging) your image, this is really handy and above all inexpensive way of doing it



Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 5:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

I will definitely have to look into that, I now see what you meant when we talked in Toronto. I guess there are Linux versions available?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I will definitely have to look into that, I now see what you meant when we talked in Toronto. I guess there are Linux versions available?

Ira
I forgot you had the EEE2G.
I know very little about the Linus distribution you have there. Even with 2G of SS, it is easy (say $20 to add another G of memory and a $60 16G SD card) for you to load XP there (with all the ready drivers that came from Asus).
I suppose it is just as easy to deal with Linux.
So far EEE has the most followers as it was the first to come out

Daniel
p.s. http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php this forum has extensive info on EEE a very versatile machine
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

Thanks Daniel, I just joined (as monza76 of course)
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.