Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:56 PM   #1

Just closed a deal over the phone. For SEK 2 250 (USD 227, EUR 246 oops the $ higher that the EUR!, is that true?) I have bought a 50 mm F 1.4.

Thats not very cheap, but with it I'll get:

Pentax SF7 body

F 28-80mm lens

F 100-300 mm lens

UV filters for the lenses

Sunpak flash

Pentax bag

Minolta Dynax 5 body

Minolta 28-80 mm lens

Minolta 75-300 mm lens

Sigma 28-105 for Minolta

So when I sell the "accessories" I think I'll end up with a pretty cheap SMC-F 50 mm 1.4, a lens I have wanted for a long time. Wish me luck!

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2008, 1:09 PM   #2

crossing fingers for you, that's a pretty long list!

/wave
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 3:02 PM   #3

Hi Kjell,

Looks like a winner of a deal to me. The F 28-80 is a pretty good lens also. SPLOSdb rates it (**), and the old Photodo site gave it a 3.3 in adjusted MTF, which is VERY high for a zoom (the legendary FA*80-200/2.8 was listed at 3.2). I'd take a chance on this highly rated a lens any time as far as IQ is concerned.

The F 100-300 is usually considered pretty much a dog, but I've seen some very good images from it stopped down to f8 and smaller.

I'd consider keeping the 50, 28-80, and maybe the flash (definitely if it's a 383 or 433, and probably if it's another Auto thyristor model), and selling the rest. Considering that you get two very nice AF lenses, the price you paid is probably pretty good, even if you don't sell the other stuff, so whatever you get for the it is really gravy. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 5:49 PM   #4

Looks like a winner to me. Like Scott said I'd keep the two F lens he mentioned and the flash. The 28-80 is a great walk around lens in urban environs.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the inputs, lads.

The Sunpak flash is an Auto 331, looks pretty tiny on the picture. I'm fairly well equipped with flashes,yet seldom use them. So it'll go.

I've also got a 28-80 lens. It's good even though it's not an smc-lens, but I never get to use it anyway. So to keep a second copy seems like overkill to me.

I'm not sure what the 100-300 mm will bring, but I hope it will sell at a price that takes the 50 mm sown to a reasonable price. Then, as you say Scott, the rest is gravy. I haven't got a clue what the Minolta stuff might be worth on ebay. Will the lenses mount on a Sony DSLR?

Kjell
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:39 AM   #6

Yes Minolta lenses fit the Sony DSLR's although I don't know if they will have any auto functions such as stopping down.

Personally I would not keep the 28-80 or the 100-300 since I have had both and neither were that great especially the 100-300 which was this side of awful.

I think if you sell most of it you will have a free 50mm 1.4, which is a very nice lens.

Good luck on your deal and lest see some shots with the 50 when you get it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:25 AM   #7

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
the rest is gravy. I haven't got a clue what the Minolta stuff might be worth ...
It's always sad to hear for me, when Minolta stuff is put down and when the whole thing just vanishes

A Minolta Dynax 500si was our first anaolg/film SLR, it gave us many wonderful pictures! It still sits in a drawer, with the kit lens still mounted (it never came off - was the only lens we had and we were happy with it).

I have no clue about the dSLR's from Minolta, but you know... even if it's only the brand name... lots of memories attached to it.

Hopefully you'll find someone, that will cherish that equipment and will make good use of it.

Best regards,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:15 PM   #8

Sony/Minolta bodies are supposed to take all Minolta Maxum/Dynax lenses with full functionality. All of my old film Maxum lenses work flawlessly on the 7D and 5D digital bodies, and the first Alpha was built as an upgrade of this pattern (even not abandoning the CF cards for Memory Sticks alone). They were smart enough to know that they would lose their Minolta base if they abandoned complete compatibility. Look at Steve's Sony/Minolta forum if you have any doubts, or any Sony Alpha ad. Or visit their website.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:50 PM   #9

FWIW I just looked it up and I think you have the conversion reversed since 1 USD is worth about .75 EU on my converter here.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:07 PM   #10

No, but my converter obviously has got it screwed up. It still maintains that the dollar is above the EUR, but another converter I just Googled claims more normal ratios. Then my deal should be USD 279, still not bad considering what I get in the package.

Kjell