Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:00 PM   #1

We were hit by the big ice storm that has made the news. Trees were down all over the place. We had a tree across our road that took down some power lines; it took about 10 hours for the power company to get a truck there. The local road crew could not clear the tree because they were not qualified to deal with the downed wires. Despite the fact that we could not get off our hill we were lucky -- our power was out for only about 20 hours. Some people have been without power for three days, and the utility companies say it may be several more days before everyone has their power restored.

I wasn't very happy with the pics I took, but these might give you some idea of what it looked like. All pics taken with a K100D, Pentax 17-45 lens. I was lucky no trees came down on my back yard shed.

Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:03 PM   #2

Here's a view looking down our road. You can't tell from the photo, but this is a steep hill, and that curve was very icy.
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:08 PM   #3

Ice covered everything. It was really amazing. Despite the destruction, it was very beautiful. After I put the camera away, I spent many hours clearing downed limbs. Naturally, the sun came out and created an amazing sparkle to the whole world. Of course, if I had put down the chainsaw and run to get the camera my neighbors would have thought I was nuts, so I missed a some really great photos.
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:54 PM   #4

Interesting shots - sure don't like the look of that road, though.

Too bad you didn't quickly drop the chainsaw and get the camera out. All my neighbors expect me to be outside taking pictures when things are so photogenic.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:27 AM   #5

Just made it out of NH last Thurs B/4 the storm hit. My house has been without power now for 4 days. I'm sure my pipes are frozen. Have to fly back tomorrow-hopefully there will be heat in my house by then. NH has a very bad track record when it comes to power outages-I lose power at least 10 times a year-hopefully someone will learn something from this.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:25 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

We have not heard from Patty (NHMOM)...hope she is doing OK!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:36 PM   #7

I agree, Jelpee. We were hit hard here in eastern Vermont, but according to the news reports, New Hampshire was hit even harder. Considering how bad the destruction was in my area, I'm not sure I can imagine what the more severe areas must look like. I hope Patty and everyone affected by this storm is OK.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:52 PM   #8

I do hope everyone in the areas hit hard are safe and staying warm.

As far as the frozen pipes go - don't do what a plumber did to a friend of a friend of mine. That guy was using a torch to thaw a pipe under a porch. As he was working, he discovered he needed a part and had to go to the store. He left and drove the hour into town, bought his part, drove the hour back only to find the house in flames - he forgot to turn off the torch before he left (and no, he did not tell the owner that at least his pipes weren't frozen any more...).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:01 AM   #9

Hello everyone,

We got our power back last night at 5 p.m. Five days without power or water is no fun, to say the least. Not much communication with the outside world. Only bits and pieces if I went over to the shelter to get water, etc.

We used the fireplace to keep the house up in the low 40's to keep the pipes (and our bodies) from freezing. Took photos I'll post later, but need to deal with a snow storm going on today, no food in the fridge (all gone bad) and have to go to work every day. The house may smell like wood smoke all winter at this rate. And, Christmas. Well, that's the last thing on my mind right now.

Anyway, I hope everyone else in the area is doing okay. The only two I'm aware of in my area posted here. So, glad to hear we are all at least not hurt. DMJJR, hope you don't have frozen pipes.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:30 AM   #10

Glad everyone is OK after the ice storm even though it seems like things are not going well at the time. We had one here some years ago where the power was out for seven days and my generator really got a work out.

I just barely got out of North Dakota on Saturday with a blizzard chasing the truck all the way home along with cold at about -18F and 45mph winds. Now that I am home, it rained for 8 hours, then the temp dropped to -12F so the only vehicles I could get into were the ones in the garage.

Today it is up to 11F, a real heat wave, time to get out the shorts and go to the beach.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote