Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:57 PM   #1

Well, the weather outside is frightful. But, the fire is so delightful. And since we've no place to go, post photos, post photos, post photos!

Let's see some of your hometown's popular tourist attractions!

Here's mine:

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:45 PM   #2

Great shot of a great city. Love S.F.

It's a wonderful topic but I can't say there isn't much here that can be on that level out here where I live.

It does give me something to work on though.

Thanks for posting,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:39 PM   #3

Love your photo - I wish I had seen this earlier today. I would have gone out and taken pictures of all the people parked beside the roads playing in the snow. Our area is so small and sleepy most of the time, but the population will triple on a good snow day.

As we were coming back from shopping, there were several guys with shovels filling their pick-up with snow. Dan wanted to stop and ask them to come over to our place - they could shovel all the snow they wanted from our driveway...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:52 PM   #4

I had been hoping to see more beautiful photos from this thread. My hometown certainly has nothing to offer. Although, I could maybe find some from Boston.

I love your shot. It belongs on your wall!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:27 PM   #5

I would venture to say that the tourist industry in Hot Springs may well be the oldest in the country. The first documented evidence of a European tourist visiting was Hernando DeSoto, who "took in the waters" in the 1530's,

The attraction? The thermal springs cascading down the sides of the Ouachita Mountains. Most of them have been covered to capture and protect the waters, but this one has been left in its natural state as a tourist attraction.

Paul
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:36 PM   #6

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
I had been hoping to see more beautiful photos from this thread.* My hometown certainly has nothing to offer.* Although, I could maybe find some from Boston.

I love your shot.* It belongs on your wall!

Patty
From iconic structures to people to simple scenery, every hometown has something to offer.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:53 PM   #7

This is one of the fishing fleet on the Hobart Tasmania docks with old original buildings from a couple of centuries ago.

The area is home to a number of restaurants with fish a popular item
Attached Images

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:49 PM   #8

I have To agree with Tom and Patty. Not Very much here that I Could Show.
Just a Small country Town.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:49 AM   #9

OK - I'll take up the challenge. I live in a really rural area, definitely small town. But I'm not going to show the town, I'm going to show what brings people to the area. I thought about doing a year in review type of thing, but decided that would be way too many pictures (I always have a tough time making up my mind anyway).

First - there's the winter snow. This is very unusual for Californians, there are people born in Los Angeles who can live their whole lives without ever touching snow. Others (in large numbers!) are willing to drive a bit to go play:

In spring people come from all over SoCal to visit the Gorman Hills when they are blanketed in wildflowers, or visit the California Poppy Reserve, a state park in nearby Antelope Valley:

In summer they come to hike the trails in the National Forest, and to admire the view from the Wildlife Viewing spot near the top of Mt. Pinos:

That picture was taken on a rather smokey day when the Zaca fire was burning to the west. What I don't show in this picture was the temporary microwave/cell phone tower that was set up to communicate with the fire fighters in the rugged terrain below - another group of people that will visit our area more often than I would like!

I really live in two different worlds - the rural, small mountain town I live in, and the urban environment I work in. And even that's divided into two. First, work and the historical University buildings (they are old by L.A. standards):

And there's the new high-rise office buildings in near-by Westwood:

The area continues to grow upward:

As you can see, you can find something to say about your home area, even if it's a quiet farm town (did I ever miss a good opportunity to take a picture of a black and white subject yesterday. The rancher who owns a pasture is running black cattle on it this year and they really stood out against the white snow Sunday) or a large, industrial city.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:37 AM   #10

Beautiful, Harriet. I used to be one of those Californians that drove up to Tehachapi when it snowed to use our sled. We certainly never got to use it in Bakersfield!

I guess I could find something in our town. But, there's certainly no tourist attractions. Most people drive through and don't even realize they've gotten into to town, let alone left it. I think it's 2 miles across.:blah:

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote