Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:09 PM   #1

I know, I don't have it yet, but trying to prepare.

1. Will my Pentax AF360FGZflash work with the K20?

2. Any suggestions on where to get a spare battery? My husband is saying something about Sterling something or other. But, he also says his Canon batteries he bought there for $10 instead of $70 run hotter than his kit one.

Thanks, Patty

p.s. Answered my own question on the flash. Duh! Look on the Pentax web site.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:29 PM   #2

I can answer the first one. Yes. It is limited though that it does not swivel when needed to use in portrait mode. Using flash bracket and sync cord would be a workaround for that and the flash is further away from the lens which is even better.

Pure speculation on the second question. It is a mixed bag to use non OEM batteries. Some report better than OEM others will find it was a waste of their time and money.

I have no experience in the battery question.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:35 PM   #3

I have bought several of the non-OEM batteries off ebay and use them interchangeably on both my K10 and K20. I haven't been able to tell a difference.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:56 PM   #4

Quote:
1.* Will my Pentax AF360FGZ*flash work with the K20?
Yes.

Quote:
2.* Any suggestions on where to get a spare battery?* My husband is saying something about Sterling something or other.* But, he also says his Canon batteries he bought there for $10 instead of $70 run hotter than his kit one.
These are compatible with the K20D (I use one), and only cost $9.95: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tery_7_4v.html

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:11 PM   #5

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
1.� Will my Pentax AF360FGZ�flash work with the K20?
Yes.

Quote:
2.� Any suggestions on where to get a spare battery?� My husband is saying something about Sterling something or other.� But, he also says his Canon batteries he bought there for $10 instead of $70 run hotter than his kit one.
These are compatible with the K20D (I use one), and only cost $9.95: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tery_7_4v.html

- Jason
I would also recommend the KM NP-400 battery. They are OEM battery from KM camera. They are made in Japan not China. If you are concern with quality, than the KM battery are a steal at the price. I bought two of them myself.

I am not saying batteries from china are bad. I've use many knock off batteries from china without a problem. But if you can get an OEM battery for cheaper why not?

The only drawback with the KM NP-400 battery is that it is only 1500mAh instead of the stock K20D D-LI50 battery which is rated at 1620mAh. I haven't noticed any different between the two batteries as far as battery life.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:55 PM   #6

I keep saying I'm going to buy a second battery but still haven't done it. Only had one battery for the K10 too.

That KM battery sounds like it might finally convince me to get a spare one, "just in case".
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:04 PM   #7

Hi Patty,

I bought 2 of the Impact K10/K20 batteries from B&H, have used them interchangeably with the OEM batteries in both cameras, and don't notice any real difference.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Battery.html

They are listed at 1700 mah as opposed to the OEM Pentax and K-M batteries that Jason posted which are rated at 1500 mah, but I won't attest to any longer life for the Impacts, as I really haven't bothered. The K20 is estimated to get about 1,000 jpegs from a battery charge, and I've yet to get close during a day's shooting. I did go over 1K shots/day with the K10 a couple of times, and had to change batteries at about 700.

IMO, The OEM K-M battery that Jason has would be a better deal at half the price since the K20 is so much more efficient, power wise.

It's a good practice to carry at least one spare because both the K10 and K20 both don't give much warning about battery condition, and by the time I've noticed that the battery was getting low, it was already on it's last legs. If this does happen, and you don't have the spare with you, turning the camera off, then on again will let it power up and give you enough for maybe a couple of shots. . . and you can repeat this a couple of times before it's gone totally. Now, I just change batteries at the first break in shooting after I first notice that the battery indicator is about half charge.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:48 AM   #8

i have a pentax and a "hahnel" . Can't notice a difference. In fact they look as if they both come from the same factory???

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 6:29 AM   #9

Thanks everyone. I've got a gift certificate for B&H. Think I'll get the one Jason mentioned.

This is going to be a switch for me. I had been using the CRV3's with the K100 at the beginning,then switched to rechargeables for the environment. But, after having to send my camera in just under the warranty because of inconsistencies in the shots and being told CRV3's are better for it, I've used them ever since. Guess I'll have to get used to chargingbatteries again and not just having them in the bag to drop in when needed. Although, sounds like they seem to keep a charge a long time.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:20 AM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Re. Batteries, my take is this: Having spent $1000 on my K20D (at the time), it did not make any sense to me to jeopardize the circuitry in it by trying to save $20-$30 by purchasing an after market battery. I've had similar "penny wise pound foolish" experiences in the past. I therefore spent the $50 and purchased an extra Pentax battery. I've read mixed reviews on the after market batteries and the lack of consistency in the feedback was a concern. Perhaps I wasted $30...but I sleep better at night:-)
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote