Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:34 AM   #1

Hi. I have a Samsung GX10 with the Twin Zoom Lens Kit (18-55 and 50-200mm). I have since purchased 2nd hand Pentax lenses (50mm F1.7 A and 135mm F3.5 M) plus a Sigma 600mm F8 M Mirror lens.

I now want to purchase a more powerful flash than the built in flash on the camera (Guide No 11). Bounce and swivel would be nice.

I would ideally like a "fully dedicated automatic" flash that could work with all of these lenses. I don't want to have to change settings on the camera for each and every type of lens that I mount (unless it is simple). It seems to me that the dedicated P-TTL flashguns work very well with the digital lenses but when I mount a manual lens, then I have to select apertures, shutter speeds, ISO settings depending on the chosen distance (I had this problem with theSigma EF-500 DG ST SA-STTL in my local shop)

Can anyone recommend the best set up for me? As you will have guessed, I am a beginner with flash (but I am very happy with manual settings on the camera).

At the moment, I am thinking towards getting something like the Sunpack 383 Super or maybe even the Cobra 440AF, both of which would set me back less than £40 (for the Sunpack) and £10 (for the Cobra).

Anyone have a similar setup with various lenses both digital and manual film? what flash are you using for all the different lenses? Advice greatly appreciated.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:32 AM   #2

IronWill wrote:
Quote:
Hi. I have a Samsung GX10 with the Twin Zoom Lens Kit (18-55 and 50-200mm). I have since purchased 2nd hand Pentax lenses (50mm F1.7 A and 135mm F3.5 M) plus a Sigma 600mm F8 M Mirror lens.

I now want to purchase a more powerful flash than the built in flash on the camera (Guide No 11). Bounce and swivel would be nice.

I would ideally like a "fully dedicated automatic" flash that could work with all of these lenses. I don't want to have to change settings on the camera for each and every type of lens that I mount (unless it is simple). It seems to me that the dedicated P-TTL flashguns work very well with the digital lenses but when I mount a manual lens, then I have to select apertures, shutter speeds, ISO settings depending on the chosen distance (I had this problem with theSigma EF-500 DG ST SA-STTL in my local shop)

Can anyone recommend the best set up for me? As you will have guessed, I am a beginner with flash (but I am very happy with manual settings on the camera).

At the moment, I am thinking towards getting something like the Sunpack 383 Super or maybe even the Cobra 440AF, both of which would set me back less than £40 (for the Sunpack) and £10 (for the Cobra).

Anyone have a similar setup with various lenses both digital and manual film? what flash are you using for all the different lenses? Advice greatly appreciated.
Hi,

I recently bought the Metz 48 AF-1, and am very pleased with it. Some information in this thread ...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...=80&page=1

Spec ...
http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pages/metz48af1.html

Fotosense had it on offer for about £135, but that appears to have ended if you shop around I think you'd find similar prices , assuming you're interested in that model. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:26 AM   #3

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I had already read your experience before I posted my own :-)

Can you share with me what lenses you have? How easy is it to use the Metz with both manual and digital lenses. This is my biggest worry. I will gladly pay this price if it will work well with my setup.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:55 PM   #4

Can't help you much other than say what I use. Since 1978 or so I've owned and used a Vivitar 285 Zoom Thyristor for every lens and camera I've owned. Works pretty good even if it is not electronically linked to the camera. Works very well with the K10D for most every kind of shot. I have 2 different kinds of Home made diffusers as well as one that came with the flash. And when more is needed I have a Vivitar DF200 digital slave flash to give some side fill light.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:29 PM   #5

IronWill wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I had already read your experience before I posted my own :-)

Can you share with me what lenses you have? How easy is it to use the Metz with both manual and digital lenses. This is my biggest worry. I will gladly pay this price if it will work well with my setup.

Up to press, my only trial use of the flash is with the macro rig ... like a few on this board I'm a firm believer in macro + flash go together, and I'm sure that will be my

prime use of the Metz. The lenses used are the Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro lens which has an "A" setting on the aperture ring, so the camera is able to control exposure

settings. secondly the Tamron adaptall-2 SP90mm f2.5 macro lens used with a P/KA adapter which allows "A" operation with this lens, so in both cases the flash will have

exposure info from the camera. ... P-TTL Exposure results so far have been excellent. Re. manual use, I've no personal experience, ... thoughin manual use output is

variable between 1/1 power .... 1/128 powerin 1/3 increments (see extract from manual below). So I imagine once you've made a few test shots, and made notes of

results and distances etc. for any given lens.You should have no problems having that degree of control over the output. If your memory is as good as mine though the

notes are a must. LOL :lol:... Jack

Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:56 PM   #6

Dawg ... I assume you have tried the Vivitar 285 with the K10D and a mixture of lenses, both A and M series Pentax, plus Digital? This is my main convern ... finding a flash that will work with varius lens types. I tried a Sigma in my local store (EF330?) and it worked really well with the Samsung zoom lens kit but was quite tricky to get decent results with my M series lenses. I'm sure I would get the hang of this if I had the flash already ... I just want to hear other people's experience before I commit.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:58 PM   #7

Thanks again Jack ... useful info. I like the sound of the Metz. Do you have any regrets in having bought this flashgun ... any weaknesses?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:52 PM   #8

I ended up getting the Pentax AF-540 because it has a swivel head (and a higher guilde number). It's not cheap, but pretty simple to operate. I'm very much a beginner when it comes to flash and I don't really work at it enough to become proficient. However, it seems pretty simple to operate in PTTL (let the camera do it all) and with manual lenses you put it in A and then follow it's suggestions for aperture and ISO. I'll adjust that as I use flash mostly with macro and have sometimes found the suggestions not quite what I had expected. The K10 also has the option of using the on-board flash to work as a controller for the 540 (and the 360) to operate wirelessly. Not sure if the Samsung has that ability, but it's one feature I use all the time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 5:20 PM   #9

Hi mtngal, thanks for your comments. Question .... When you say "with manual lenses you put it in A" do you mean you put the manual lens on A (Pentax A series lenses) or do you mean that there is an A setting on the flash itself? If it is on the flash .... does this A setting work with both A and M series Pentax lenses (they are both manual lenses)?

The Samsung GX10 has the same feature for the controller as the K10D. Both the Pentax and the Samsung share everything .... the Samsung is simply cheaper.

Old Dec 22, 2008, 6:46 PM   #10

The A is a setting on the flash. You put the camera in M like you usually do, choose the shutter sync speed (can't remember what it is on the K10). The flash has a chart on it where it will say at such-and-such an aperture you'll have a certain distance. You can change the aperture setting on the flash, along with the ISO setting. Then set your camera to that ISO and your lens to that aperture. If I wanted a different aperture, I'd change the setting on both the lens and the flash. It actually worked pretty well, though when I was doing this I was shooting macros with an extension tube so was losing more light than I would have otherwise (I either changed the ISO setting on the camera or else told the flash to use a smaller aperture). I probably should try it without the extension tube and one of my manual lenses to see how accurate it is normally. I don't think the wireless flash works with manual lenses - at least I couldn't figure out how to get it to work (the wireless option is greyed out with a manual lens - maybe there's something I'm missing as I'm not an expert on flash photography).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote