Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:18 AM   #11

I like the back light in this one and the look of doubt and uncertainty on her face.

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:45 AM   #12

Funny, I look at the picture and i see grit and determination, a let me into the game I know what to do. very nice picture though either way.
Joliet Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:17 PM   #13

Thanks Harriet and Patty.

Paul, I agree - it would be nice to see what others have come up with that they didn't (or won't) enter. It would be an opportunity to dig up pictures too old to make the three month qualification. However, I don't think it would be quite cricket to preview a potential entry before putting it up the way politicians sometimes throw out a name of a potential nominee to see if it would pass muster, which is why I wouldn't change mine to one of the train shots, or go back to the original choice.

Kaz, I like the red holly berries on black, probably more than on the original green. Vert striking.

Dawg, I see the same thing you do - anticipation personified. With the models you have to practice on, I don't know why you feel you have to ask for advice - you should be giving it. You will have your granddaughters trained for a career in modeling by the time they grow up!

Nice pictures all.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:43 AM   #14

One of the interesting additions to Paint Shop Pro in version X2 is the Time Machine effect, which applies a filter to simulate any one of a number of historical photo techniques. Yesterday, I visited the Shiloh National Military Park in Tennessee and thought this might an interesting point to apply the Daguerrotype filter to try to give a Matthew Brady type feel to some of the shots.

One of the problems with battlefield photography, unless re-enactors happen to be present, is that cannons tend to often be the only feature which distinguishes the battlefield from a beautiful landscape. And, unless you're an artillery afficionado, one Civil War cannon, looks remarkably like the next. I tried to use the Daguerrotype filter and a little different perspective to make these interesting.

Both of these are from a half-mile long line of cannons overlooking the Hornet's Nest, where the fiercest fighting of the battle occurred

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:47 AM   #15

The second is the sight one of the Confederate gunners might have seen of a cabin that was located on the battlefield. (BTW, the original cabin was destroyed in the battle, but the family that lived there moved this cabin from about a mile away and rebuilt it on their original land, which featured a spectacular peach orchard to the right.)

Paul
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:00 PM   #16

Paul, that cannon lineup is one impressive shot, even without the special effects. And you don't have to be a cannon aficionado to tell from the barrels that there are three different models.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 5:52 PM   #17

The pictures are neat. And I'm like Penolta, I can tell that those three cannon aren't the same. And to ask what's probably a really dumb question - does Civil War artillery pieces have rifling? I'm ashamed to admit that I know very little about the differences between military pieces, and the one thing that I did notice about the M60 tanks at the Patton museum was the rifling.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:43 PM   #18

Harriet, I don't proclaim any level of expertise on the technology of the Civil War, but the near-total lack of production quality foundries in the South (there was only one high capacity foundry in the entire South) meant that Southern armies tended to use any type of cannon they could get their hands on by any means. These tended to be older smooth-bore cannons, firing a dazzling variety of ammunition, such as those shown in the photo below.

The solid shot and the canister shot at the top of the frame are the more primitive loads (canisters could be filled with any type of metal shrapnel and would be emptied into massed infantry). The "high-tech" rifled shells shown in cut-away below, were more often used by Northern artillery

Interest and knowledge of my family's history has put a more personal twist to my interest in our country's history, too. I know, for example, that at least one of my great-great grandfathers served at Shiloh.

Sorry if this reply broke the B&W nature of this thread, but it is coincidental that this display caught my attention yesterday.

Paul