Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:48 PM   #1

A similar question was asked in the Digicam Q&A part of the forum but I thought I would ask here..... I have the GX-1L and the when i try to use the flash it doesn't charge. Also, the camera seems to be stuck on Tv (shutter Priority mode). I did try different batteries. If i use "standard" AA batteries the camera does even come on. With rechargables the camera will turn on and I can take pictures without the flash. I did try reseting the camera.. no change. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? I am pretty sureI have to send it out for repair but I just want to be sure. 6 weeks and quotes I got were about $250. IfI have to have it repaired I think I am just gonna save my money and get the Pentax K200D Body only. Figures right at Christmas time too... ugh.:sad:
h7edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2008, 5:16 PM   #2

tteries in and it woldn't come onn but re chargeables work. I still have no joy with an answer.

I don't think i'm gonna bother fixing mine. It seems to be a common problem.

Jessops have a cannon 10 megapixelfor £299 on offer at the moment. Although I can understand you want a pentax or another samsung because you can use your existing lenses.

I think I may migrate from samsung as everything i've ever had that was samsung branded has broken just after the 12 month warranty.

Good luck with your search for answer to our problem, let me know how it goes. I'll let you know if I come up with a suggestion.

Just out of curiosity... How long have you had yours?

I've had mine just over a year, the problem started about 2 months after a year of having and using it.

Danni
danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:05 PM   #3

Hey Danni Yup got mine about Febuary 2007. Yea it is kind of odd that the local camera shop basically stopped carrying anything other than Nikon and Canon. Pentax uses Samsungs imager I believe but that is as far as it goes... honestly I have never had any problems with samsung products. Pentax has a good following and for the money I will give it another try although I think Pentax has better quality in build than the samsungs. if anyone knows the "skinny" on Samsungs and Pentax I would love to hear it. This time I will opt for the extended warranty. :-)

I have 3 lenses and I think to change right now would just be to costly especially since I am barely an amateur lol.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:07 PM   #4

I really can't help with your problem. However, I had a Pentax DS (came before the DL) and the person who bought it from me reported recently that it's still working (along with an early K10 that I also sold, but it did have AF trouble). My K100 is working well as is my K20.

The K200 has the Sony 10 mp sensor that's in the K10 and a number of Nikon cameras (along with at least one Sony dSLR). The K20 is the one that uses the Samsung CMOS sensor. Mine is almost a year old and still working well - we'll see how it goes.

As far as what's going on with Pentax - I've been hearing about Pentax's expected imminent demise since I bought the DS (Jan 2006), and it hasn't happened yet. I've been very happy with all 4 cameras I've bought, and all of them are still going strong, though only 2 of them in my hands. I suspect that both Canon and Nikon offer salespeople greater commissions/sales profit and that's why they push them more than anything else. That doesn't mean that they are necessarily better cameras than Pentax or Sony.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:26 AM   #5

ahh... Thanks mtngal! I think for what I do and what the Pentax offers in the K200D its the right fit for me. The demise of Pentax? Well with my luck it will prolly happen the day after I buy the camera HAHA! I thought I read somewhere that Pentax is back in the race and they are here to stay now? Maybe I am wrong. Anyway Thank you for the info.