Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:57 PM   #11

those do look good, just one problem though, i dont anyone that uses film any more lol

ill have to keep my eyes open, maybe one will turn up
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:17 PM   #12

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
those do look good, just one problem though, i dont anyone that uses film any more lol

Exactly - I've got some black containers here, but no white. I knew that photo container trick already, but was more looking for a combined bounce/diffusor solution.

@jachol

the second solution (the macro thingie with cut-through for lens) is a great idea!

@Glen

Great - it works for you!

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:19 AM   #13

kazuya wrote:
Quote:

I tend to keep small containers like that, I always find a use for them to store small items. Only suggestion I can make is to enquire at a local photography shop, I'm sure

they must throw them away in great numbers, once a film has been processed. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:36 AM   #14

If UK members are interested, in making a onboard flash diffuser with a film container...I noticed that my local branch of ASDA are still stocking a2 X 24

exposure Fujicolour 35mm film pack at £3.88, which isn't too expensive, film can be used also, processing not included. I'm sure mine was made from a Fuji film

container, as below. ... Jack.

Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:47 AM   #15

Guys! Will it do for 1:1 macro with this lens.
It casts heavy shadows with pop-up flash on Samsung GX20.
Is it gonna get better with this diffuser?

FYI
35mm Macro Limited has:
- 139mm Minimum Focus Distance
- approx 2 cm of Working Distance

+

?
Gadgeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
Guys! Will it do for 1:1 macro with this lens.
It casts heavy shadows with pop-up flash on Samsung GX20.
Is it gonna get better with this diffuser?

FYI
35mm Macro Limited has:
- 139mm Minimum Focus Distance
- approx 2 cm of Working Distance

+

?
Hi Gadgeteer,
Welcome to the board. I think your shadow problem is that with a 35mm macro lens you are so much closer to your subject, and I'd think it will be difficult to avoid harsh shadows, no matter how much you diffuse the flash. most of us use macro lenses around 100mm which helps the shadow problem, you may have to resort to off camera flash to get around it.
I've experimented further with the diffuser arrangement, and will post later, I need to take some pics, but being Xmas I'm spending time with my family. ... Jack.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:41 PM   #17

My 100mm macro lens is too long for the on-board flash, your best bet is to get an external flash. I've had no trouble with a hot-shoe mounted flash, but it's best if you can get the flash off the camera completely. the Samsung GX20 can control an external flash wirelessly, which makes macro much easier.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:12 AM   #18

Default Modded Flash/Diffuser

As mentioned earlier, I've been experimenting with the film case diffuser + a hinged reflector mounted in the hot shoe, a kitchen foil reflector has been added inside the film container, the idea being to direct the flash up and back onto the hinged reflector whose angle can be adjusted to whatever needed. My main reason for doing this is mainly to use the on camera flash for macro work (it's not always convenient to carry a separate flash) I still have to reduce the flash level in the menu, it certainly works for me. As Harriet says above, not all 100mm macro lenses will be shadow free, I've had success with the Cosina 100mm macro lens and also with a 50mm f1.4 mounted on the Vivitar macro teleconverterr. The sample shot below is with the Cosina 100 mm @ 1:2, I find sometimes that I get better results with less flash, and correcting levels in Photoshop later. You can see in this sample shot the only shadow is from the coin itself, and the lighting is pretty even all over.
I haven't tried any portrait work, but I'm sure this arrangement would give much less harsh lighting that the flash alone.
I'm still working on the mod, I think maybe a larger reflector might be better, the size of this one was limited by the size of the opaque white plastic bottle it was cut from. BTW you can stiffen the hinge swivel action by centrepopping the hinge sleeve, and you can see where I've done this in a couple of places in the rearview picture of the mounted reflector.
The reflector mount is made from a small piece of 1.5mm thick Printed circuit board insulated side down to avoid any shorting of the flash contacts, and cut to be a firm fit in the hotshoe.

Hope this project is of interest, ... Jack.

Edit:- I'm not sure why the coin pic has become elongated , this has happened somehow in uploading the file. Pic is absolutely round on my monitor screen, before upload. ???.
Attached Images

Last edited by jachol; Dec 27, 2009 at 6:27 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:22 AM   #19

Coin is completely round on my screen - looks fine. An interesting design, and it does seem to work pretty well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Coin is completely round on my screen - looks fine. An interesting design, and it does seem to work pretty well.
Strange Harriet !, it's elongated vertically on this screen online. Problem must be with the display on my linux box (I have had trouble wth setting up native resolution of my monitor) original looks fine viewed in windows. ... Jack