Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:39 PM   #1

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone played with the Gary Fong Puffer or other diffuser for the built-in flash?

Do these things work?

Ie. Reduce harsh shadows, lighten up the background, reduce harsh speculars, work whether taking a picture in landscape or portrait mode?

Thanks!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:30 PM   #2

Hey,
when I absolutely HAVE TO use flash (I usually try to avoid this) I use some very basic self-made stuff. Depending on how often you'll use the in-camera flash I'd recommend you go for a professional solution as I hope these will mount/dismount way better to the fragile in-camera flash.

If you just ask for a working solution, I'll share an idea if you want. You need an old CD spindle (you know these round plastic boxes with 50 CD's in it). Then some good reflective material (aluminium foil for a start) and some white paper.

Cut 1/4 (or maybe a tad less, but 1/4 is a good start) out of the side of the CD spindle. Cut a slot (opening) for the camera internal flash head into that piece of plastic. Attach the reflective material in the middle, the white paper on the "upper" side. Mount the thing onto your camera and try some settings.

Here is what it looks like:
- (1) opening for flash head
- (2) section for reflective material
- (3) section for white paper

Section 2 will direct the flash light up and section 3 will give some kind of small lightsource (it's almost the same as you can see on external flashes with swiveling heads, just home-made).

Try out some sizes of that bouncer and different sizes of section 2 and 3 until you find your dream specification.

Results might not be "professional", but better than with just the in-camera flash. You can see examples here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=90

Hope that helps, good luck!

Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:31 PM   #3
TDN

If there's one thing I've learned about flash it's that it is best used off the camera.

I bought a set of cactus v2s wireless triggers 6 months back and havent looked back. Getting into this will change the way you think about flash completely. For 25 bucks/set, these things are GOLD.

And if you do need TTL, I'd advise bouncing it or using a TTL-cord. In most cases a ABBC does pretty well also, + it's free. http://abetterbouncecard.com/

oh yeah and a real flash should be right at the top of your wishllist

Tom

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:55 AM   #4

Hello!

Thnk777 -- I am definitely going to try this. I've got a few empty CD cases around. That design is ingenius! (Just not today. My wife would kill me if I was fiddling around with my camera today with guests coming over. <grin>)

TDN -- Off-camera flash rocks! Absolutely. I got a cheap wireless trigger a few months ago and a cheap Vivitar 285HV just to see what all the buzz with off-camera flash was about & ended up falling off my seat with what you can do with it. Then I got playing with flash in general (on-camera & off-camera) with my buddies TTL gear with tilt + swivel and decided I would definitely use a powerful TTL flash myself. So . . . I got $300 saved up for my Pentax AF540FGZ.

But even though I know what I can do with an external flash unit, there will be times I won't use it . . . still need some extra light . . . and I'll cringe when I use the built-in flash and see that harsh shadow and burning speculars. And I don't see my wife wanting to use the big flash all the time.

So . . .

Just want to find some workable solutions for the built-in flash for convenience.

Take care,
Glen

Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:06 AM   #5

i made a diffuser for the on camera flash from an old milk carton, i cut off the handle then cut along the seam, give it a clean and then you pull it apart and place it over the flash, it grips it quite well and works really good, try it

Attached Images

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 9:46 PM   #6

Kazuya, looks like a good idea. I was having problems with too bright flash last night and took a small piece of waxed paper and made a tube and taped it to the camera. Certainly not very permanent, but was effective.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 1:31 PM   #7

Hey Thkn777,

I just built one of your gizmos.

I built it for my Nikon D70s. (I'll have to see if it fits on my Pentax K100D).

Wow. It works! Too Cool!

I was skeptical while I was building it, but when it was finished, I ran upstairs and took a couple shots of my wife in the kitchen & with this one (with aluminum tape for the reflector [already has adhesive on one side) and wax paper [Thanks nhmom!] it provided more light in the background & warmed up the picture!)

To get the Nikon to get a proper exposure, I had to use flash compensation and turn it up to +1.0. [ie. Max.]

Kazuya, I'm going to try yours next. Problem is we don't get milk in jugs anymore. I'll have to look around for something similar.

[Doing this while I wait for my daughter to finally let me take pictures of her with my new Pentax AF540FGZ. <grin>]

Take care,
Glen

Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:19 AM   #8

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Hey Thkn777,

I just built one of your gizmos.

I built it for my Nikon D70s. (I'll have to see if it fits on my Pentax K100D).

Wow. It works! Too Cool!

I was skeptical while I was building it, but when it was finished, I ran upstairs and took a couple shots of my wife in the kitchen & with this one (with aluminum tape for the reflector [already has adhesive on one side) and wax paper [Thanks nhmom!] it provided more light in the background & warmed up the picture!)

To get the Nikon to get a proper exposure, I had to use flash compensation and turn it up to +1.0. [ie. Max.]

Kazuya, I'm going to try yours next. Problem is we don't get milk in jugs anymore. I'll have to look around for something similar.

[Doing this while I wait for my daughter to finally let me take pictures of her with my new Pentax AF540FGZ. <grin>]

Take care,
Glen

Try This one Glen, it's a favourite of mine when using the onboard flash for macro work since I need to reduce the flash intensity even more for close work, this is

simply done by adding rolled up material inside the 35mm film container. It's cheap and you probably have the makings to hand. Scroll down this thread ...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=25102184

I've used this one too, it's quite effective, saves money too.... Jack

http://www.avforums.com/forums/digit...ser-macro.html

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:59 PM   #9

Jack, not to demean any of the other suggestions, but these two are brilliant - simple is good! BTW there are other film cans with denser translucent walls that the Fujis, so having two different ones on hand may save some time experimenting with different thickness and brightness of papers to insert in the more transparent one. Thanks for posting the links to these.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:21 AM   #10

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Jack, not to demean any of the other suggestions, but these two are brilliant - simple is good! BTW there are other film cans with denser translucent walls that the Fujis, so having two different ones on hand may save some time experimenting with different thickness and brightness of papers to insert in the more transparent one. Thanks for posting the links to these.

Penolta, when Isearched for "DIYonboard flash diffusers" there were lots of hits, but these two seemedmore practicable, andI was attracted by theirsimplicity,I've

found in practice thatthey are very effective,I doubt that any store bought items will be any more so. Both of these can bemade much morecheaply.

I have in mind to make another one of the film cassette type, with an added internal reflector to direct light up and to the rear, then add a stifflyhinged bounce card that

could mount on the hot shoe. I feel that this arrangement could address the problem of shadows cast by longer macro lenses when using the onboard flash, as well as

beinggood formore general use. It would be pretty portable, and not take up a lot of room in thecamera bag.BTW not sure what make of film container I'm using, but it

is denser than most. ... Jack

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote