Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:58 PM   #11

Having said all that about using my existing flash in Auto mode, I've found that a Sigma 530ST DG ST is around $135. I canjustify that a loteasier than I can the $225-325 for the Pentax flashes. I realize that it doesn't have someof the features of the higher Pentax flash or the Sigma Super, but I don't think some of them even apply to the *ist DL. Although I got a good dealon the camera 2+ years ago, I didn't realize it would be limiting me in things such as flash, etc. Oh well, that just means that I'll get to upgrade to a newer Pentax in the future! I'd love to hear any thoughts, pros, cons, etc about the Sigma flash. Thanks, as always.

David
David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:48 AM   #12

David_NC wrote:
Quote:
Having said all that about using my existing flash in Auto mode, I've found that a Sigma 530ST DG ST is around $135. I canjustify that a loteasier than I can the $225-325 for the Pentax flashes. I realize that it doesn't have someof the features of the higher Pentax flash or the Sigma Super, but I don't think some of them even apply to the *ist DL. Although I got a good dealon the camera 2+ years ago, I didn't realize it would be limiting me in things such as flash, etc. Oh well, that just means that I'll get to upgrade to a newer Pentax in the future! I'd love to hear any thoughts, pros, cons, etc about the Sigma flash. Thanks, as always.

David
The only catch of getting Sigma flash is in the upgrade path . There is a chance that when you upgrade your DL, the new K20D Super or whatever may necessitate the rechipping of your flash.

But I have the older version of your flash (500ST) which still works flawlessly with my K20D. But without the bells and whistle of the Super model (with wireless & HSS ). Whether wireless and HSS is important to you is something else.

When you have a chance , post some image

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:50 AM   #13

FWIW, my old AF500FTZ flash works perfectly with my DS in TTL and I thought the DL worked the same way with TTL flash. I use a Stroboframe and the Pentax hot shoe to flash adapter with the AF500FTZ and it works great.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:49 PM   #14

Tom,

The DL can only handle pTTL.
AF500FTZ works perfectly with DS but not DL.
I have a great AF280T. If Pentax ever goes back to TTL, that would have been perfect.

Daniel

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
FWIW, my old AF500FTZ flash works perfectly with my DS in TTL and I thought the DL worked the same way with TTL flash. I use a Stroboframe and the Pentax hot shoe to flash adapter with the AF500FTZ and it works great.

Tom
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 1:32 AM   #15

Thanks Daniel, I did not know that.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote