Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:25 PM   #11

I had an early Canon and liked it up to a point - the ink cartridges didn't have heads on them and they would dry up rather than me using the ink up, so I was always buying ink. I said I wouldn't buy another one (though they've totally changed the style and that's the way I might go next).

Next I got an Epson. Image quality was very good but it sure seemed to go through ink quickly.

Replaced with an HP. We have no air conditioning and live where it's windy and dusty. The first HP's paper advance mechanism got clogged quickly. The second one did the same thing, so I said that I'd never buy one with a bottom feed paper try - it doesn't work in our harsh environment. The pictures were pretty good, but it seemed like I was always buying ink for it.

My current printer is an all-in-one Lexmark that I bought because it has a wireless card built in. Unfortunately, there's something set up wrong with my router and while I could get the printer showing it was attached to the network, my computer won't print to it. I think I need to replace my router and that gets complicated because of my internet service. It's not a very good printer, but does OK for reference contact sheets and printing web pages, but I wouldn't recommend it for good printing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:19 AM   #12

at the moment im usin a epson c84, i toy with the idea of getting a a3 printer but i dont do a lot of printing which means im forever having to clean the printer heads before i print, which wastes ink.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:40 AM   #13

Had different Canon printers, last ones i560 and ip4200. Single ink is good for costs and non-Canon inks are even cheaper . I gave the ip4200 to my father in law so he can directly print 10x15cm prints from his digicam.

The family uses an OKI C3450 now for everything. (network color laser printer). Good enough for proofs, I seem to have problems with some of my own images now and then, but I blame myself for not being good enough in producing a good printable image.

Some images really come out with that "woah!!!" effect, is has a dedicated photo mode and is able to print banners up to 1200mm - which was one reason to go for it, I want to print some self-made panoramas

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:36 AM   #14

I can also vouch for the Epson rx595. I had a canon photo printer for years and a few months ago my 'regular' printer died. At the same time the ink was pretty much gone from the canon. It was actually cheaper to buy a new all-in-one than to refill the Canon and buy a text printer.

The text printing on the 595 is acceptable if nothing special but the photo prints are every bit as good as the Canon dedicated photo printer. It's just a bit slower to print. Both printers really seem to go through ink quite a bit though.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:41 AM   #15
Administrator

I stick to HP.

The consumables tend to cost a bit more for them. But, I've never had a clogged nozzle with an HP printer (or a need to run a lot of cleaning cycles to get decent output like I've had to do with some of the other printer brands).

Also, I use both Windows and Linux, and HP printers are well supported in Linux, thanks to some nice open source drivers and utilities that HP makes available via the HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging and Printing) project. That gives me the same type of functionality I get with HP's Windows based tools (ink levels, printer settings, head alignment, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:44 AM   #16

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
i toy with the idea of getting a a3 printer but i dont do a lot of printing
when you do get the A3 printer you'll wonder how you got by without it.. also, i didn't think anything would print better than the canon ip6000d but the pro9000 is hands down the winner.. the 6000 was canon's last 6ink 8.5x11.. i've had this one since '05 and never had a problem with it.,.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:38 AM   #17

Hi,
one B&W Laserprinter (Samsung ML-1250) for non colored stuff (maybe replaced in the nexte few months and
a Canon IP4200 for the colored things like photos and CDs

I like the different cartridges for ink the IP 4200 uses. And in the last month i found an alternative to the Canon cartrides (with chip) for a third less.

I like the Canons IQ and it is really easy to use , the only issue i had it was tough to use it under linux, when i bought it 2 years ago.

bye alex
albreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:24 PM   #18

Thanks for all the input. I did tell my husband that I don't tend to go with what all the pros say or do. I.e., not owning a Nikon or Canon camera.

It's interesting that so many have switched to Canon's over the years. In doing research yesterday, I checked the Consumer Reports site. The top five were all Canon's.

I had been toying with the idea of getting an all-in-one mostly because I really wish I had a copier here at home. Plus, our scanner is much older than the printer (1999). An Epson Perfection 1200S that we just keep transfering from computer to computer. It has the transparency attachment and I think we paid $800 for it years ago. I do have the small Canon LiDE500f that I use when I travel. But, know that a dedicated printer is probably going to be better than an AIO. I mostly want to be able to print photos for the contests I submit to. My current printer, although the image looks great, you can see the different thicknesses of the ink on the page when you look at the print sideways.

I really like the duplexer on my 7350, too. Mostly because I can print my lessons in color (PSE so don't want in b&w), double sided and in draft mode and feel like I am notwasting so much just to have a paper copy to do my assignments from.

And, the wireless is helpful as I currently have to have the desktop computer on if I wish to print from my laptop. At least with our new computer it doesn't take as long to boot up.

I had been thinking it would be cool to be able to print 13 x 9's at home, but I think if I had something I wanted that large I'd probably send out to get it anyway.

It's nice to know that the Canon's have easy refill of the cartridges. Nice feature.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:26 AM   #19

mtngal wrote
Quote:
My current printer is an all-in-one Lexmark that I bought because it has a wireless card built in. Unfortunately, there's something set up wrong with my router and while I could get the printer showing it was attached to the network, my computer won't print to it. I think I need to replace my router and that gets complicated because of my internet service. It's not a very good printer, but does OK for reference contact sheets and printing web pages, but I wouldn't recommend it for good printing.
Harriet,

It sounds like you might have the same printer I do, the Lexmark 6500. I bought it for the same reason you did, the built-in wireless capability, and I've had little trouble with it. I use an older Okidata laser for text printing and seldom do a lot of photo printing, so for my needs, the Lexmark is sufficient. (When I want a quality print, I send it out.)

Scott, I use my little Aspire One much as you do. When I need to display photos with a potential client, I use the netbook instead of contact sheets. I also use it in the field to get a better feel for what I've shot than I can get with the LCD on the back of the camera.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:21 PM   #20

Paul - that's the one I have. The paper feed works fine, the colors are OK, but I haven't tried to print to photo paper yet. The only problem I have is (I'm fairly certain) connected to the router and it's firewall. I can get the printer to talk to the router, but I can't get the computer to talk to the printer through the router (the main thing I wanted!). It works fine when attached directly to the printer (sigh!). I didn't set up the router and the guy who did highly recommended that I not change anything on it. I'm thinking of getting another router and starting from scratch, but my ISP is wireless (long story) and I'm afraid to mess with anything like that. It seems like whenever I've changed anything on my internet, it's ended up taking much more time than I had planned on!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote