Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:10 PM   #1

I'm going to wait until I get home, or else hook up my Huey to this monitor - none of the pictures looked right when I changed the monitor's profile (the Huey's profile doesn't work well if the device isn't hooked up to the monitor).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:21 AM   #2

but would that make any difference to how we see them?

i often wonder when i post pictures how they look to other people. when i copied some pictures to my laptop they looked really dull,i had to fiddle with the gamma to get them looking the same. i guess they will never look the same unless everyone uses the same method of calibration.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:29 AM   #3

Well, that's the problem - they looked fine when I put them up, but then the Huey wasn't attached to the computer (I'm not home and hadn't bothered to attach it). I had added extra saturation to the oranges, which I rarely do with the K20 - I find most of the time that the K20's pictures have a lot of saturation. So after I posted them, I got to thinking that perhaps the pictures weren't right and I changed the laptop's monitor back to the default settings. some looked pretty bad, it was late and so I just took them down, I'll re-process them today. I was surprised just how bad they did look.

If anyone is interested, I can post copies of both and let others decide what they think.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:06 AM   #4

how could we tell?? i use a '05spyder from pantone colorvision.. what i'm worried about is , does the screen match the print?, when i print it. i'd say it's about 98% correct.. i wish my spyder did LCDs so i could test some lcd panels.
i'll be sticking to CRTs right now..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:58 AM   #5

As far as telling which is "right" - it does depend on your monitor. Here's one of the pictures - I haven't reprocessed it. I did attach the Huey to my computer, so the monitor is now supposed to be calibrated. The pictures I started to post still look fine with it, even with all of the extra saturation. I've found that the Huey adds quite a bit of green and that tones down oranges. I don't know how this would print as I don't have access to a printer at the moment.

This is one of the pictures that looked so bad:

When I have the laptop monitor set to its default settings, the oranges look very over-saturated. When I use the Huey, it looks fine, the oranges/reds looked too dull without the extra saturation.

Another one that also looks oversaturated, but at least fits the original theme - you can see the snow above the red rocks.

Anyway, what do other people think of it on their monitors?

P.S. The Huey can calibrate LCD monitors. I prefer them to CRTs but not sure the Huey is that great with laptop monitors - depends on how you have the monitor angled.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:30 PM   #6

Harriet, These both look great on my Samsung LCD monitor without calibration.

We don't have a physical calibrator, but on our old computer we had a way to calibrate it with software we don't seem to have on the new one. I haven't taken the time to figure out what's with that. We may have missed installing from the CD and just let the computer find the defaults.

Anyway, these both look great to me.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 2:38 PM   #7

they both look fine on mine as well

ive also got an uncalibratedsamsung monitor
Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:18 PM   #8

In that case, here are the rest of them.

A snow covered mountain at 30 mph:

Desert scenery - I think the spiky plants in this picture are some type of Yuccas, not Joshua Trees. They are similar, but they occupy different desert systems:

More snow, along with stripes of different colored sandstone:

We weren't alone visiting this pretty spot:

This part of the desert is normally very dry. There are a number of springs in the area, but they usually only have a trickle of water that makes its way to the surface. There's been several days of rain and snow, so a number of low spots have pools of water, making for lovely scenes and reflections:

This is the real "wild" side of Las Vegas - Red Rock Canyon. Those who get tired of the bright lights and glitz can find it about 15 miles from the Strip.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:34 PM   #9

the colours in all those look fine to me, i especialy like the last one with the water pool
Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:19 PM   #10

Hey Harriet,
they look great on my 22" LG, if I take it over to my 19" they look quite muted! guess I need to calibrate that one!

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote