Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:23 PM   #1

A few taken yesterday on our outing.

This is from Lawrence, Massachusetts, an old mill town. My mom's family migrated from Belgium in the early 1900's to Canada, then in the mid 1940's to California. And, in the mid 1980's I moved with my husband to the east coast of the United States. My mother had never met her grandfather. And, had always assumed he still lived in Belgium. While doing my genealogy research I discovered that in the early 1910's he had moved to Lawrence and is buried about 50 miles from where I now live. He worked in some of these mills. Just haven't been able to determine which ones yet.

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:23 PM   #2

A park bench facing the canal which is now empty.
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:24 PM   #3

A look up near the park bench. As you can see, we had cloudy skies to contend with.
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:34 AM   #4

its such a small world isnt it.

i sympathise with you over the sky, its so cold and dull here, and theres not even been the bonus of snow.

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:28 PM   #5

It is a small world. I didn't believe it was my great grandfather until I got proof of the guys parents and they matched the parents of my guy.

We did have blue skies today, but it was so dang windy you couldn't stand steady let alone try to photograph anything. And, tomorrow we're back to snow. I want Spring!

Patty
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:33 PM   #6

Spring? We've only had a couple of days of winter so far - send some of that snow you all are getting my way - we need the water.

P.S. Forgot to say how much I like your first picture - there's something about spiral staircases that fascinate me. They offer fun lines to photograph.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 5:46 AM   #7

Patty, I bought this book on the Lawrence mill strikes for my father for Christmas.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...mp;dcaid=17902

I plan on reading it when he is done. Thanks for the photos, someday I must get back to New England and see the area I only knew as a child.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:25 AM   #8

I really like the shot if the brick building, interesting how they bricked up the basement window. The bricks and the spiral staircase work well together.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 7:25 PM   #9

I've lived here 21 years now and the winters are getting a little old. So, yes, Harriet, I'm ready for Spring. You can have all my snow!

Thanks on the spiral staircase one. I'm working on getting some of the others taken that day up on my gallery. Will post when I'm finished. I took many other angles of the staircase. I amintrigued by them. The ground was wet, so I didn't get on the ground to shoot straight up. But, did hold the camera down and shoot up. I'm not sure if any are salvageable or not, though. Some ended up with parts of me in them.:-)

Tim, thanks for the tip on the book. It looks very interesting. I've just put it on my wish list at B&N. We have a pile of gift certificates here we need to use.

Yes, it is interesting how they "brick up" the windows. There were quite a few like that in the four block area we covered. And, I agree. I like the black wrought iron against the red brick.

Patty