Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:39 PM   #1

I've already kind of posted this question as part of an existing string on the photo editing board, but that board doesn't seem to get a whole lot of traffic. Besides, I'd rather hear from other Pentaxians.

I've had a Mac for a couple of years now and have been using iPhoto to organize and do mild post-processing on my photos - which were all jpg's prior to my purchase of the K200D a few months ago.

Right now, I'm at the point where taking the next step in post-processing is beginning to make sense. But there's no way I'm going to spring for the full Photoshop experience (which I probably don't need anyway). So I'm looking at Lightroom and Aperture.

Now, I'm sure both programs will work acceptably well. And if Aperture is anything like the rest of Apple's software, I'm sure the user interface will be elegant. Plus it's at least $100 cheaper than Lightroom. But I understand Aperture doesn't include dedicated functionality for correction of chromatic aberrations and lens distortions.

Questions: 1) Is this true? 2) If so, what kind of plug-in programs are Aperture users on this board using for CA and distortion correction? 3) Does Aperture handle noise reduction? 4) Any recommendations?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:41 AM   #2

There is PhotoLine (www.pl32.com) as a cheap solution, that also runs on Mac. I use the program on Windows for some years now and it does the necessary stuff for me. Try the demo version or ask your questions here
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:56 AM   #3

I wish I could offer some insights, butI can't. I currently use PSE 6 on a windows machine, but I am also seriously considering moving to a mac platform. I'm glad you asked this question, because I also will look forward to the responses of others.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:32 PM   #4

I haven't used Lightroom or Aperture. I've been using Photoshop Elements for years. Usually upgrade every other version. Am currently at ver. 7. It does everything I need. I can process my RAW images in it if needed and it's a whole lot cheaper than the real thing. I've heard it described as 80% the real thing for 1/4 the price. There may be things I'm missing in the real one or Lightroom or Aperture. But, what you can't see you aren't missing. :-)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:34 PM   #5

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
There is PhotoLine (http://www.pl32.com) as a cheap solution, that also runs on Mac. I use the program on Windows for some years now and it does the necessary stuff for me. Try the demo version or ask your questions here
I use CS2 but this looks like a very good alternative without all the bits I don't use

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:22 PM   #6

Hey Biro,
one way to get around the pricey Photoshop CS4 extended, is to ha a student you know get it for you at the college book store at $200 it's a deal.

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:04 AM   #7

I use Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS4. Both Apple and Adobe give good academic discounts, so I ended up buying Lightroom instead of Aperture - LR was $99 and Aperture $125. I've been using LR since it first came out, which also made my decision easier. I've never used Aperture, but understand it is a better photo organizer than LR.

I had to wait for the Student Store to get one of the versions of CS4 in that included Photoshop (I changed platforms right when Adobe first released CS4, and the student store didn't get in their stock right away). So at first I used Lightroom 2 by itself. The only thing I found that I do on a regular basis, that I thought LR didn't handle well was resizing pictures down to post on the web. LR doesn't change the original picture - none of the changes are done until you export the finished product. That's the only time it will resize, which means that you are doing it at the very end. In photoshop I'll resize then add some USM to deal with any softness created by the resizing. You'd have to import the exported file and then add sharpness and export it again to do the same thing. What I do now is make whatever changes I want to make in LR, then export to tiff and automatically open in CS4. Then I resize, add USM if I want and save as jpg. I'm sure you could do the same thing with Elements, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:04 AM   #8

FWIW Aperture requires a fast Mac to work well, I does run on my MacBook 2.2 but runs much better on faster Mac's like a MacBook Pro. It runs so slowly on my Al Powerbook 15" 1.6 that it isn't worth running in my opinion and the larger the files such as those from a K20D shooting in RAW are impossible to work with on the Powerbook.

Lightroom runs much better on slower machines.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:02 AM   #9

For Patty

Any significant difference between PSE 6 and version 7?

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:40 PM   #10

BB2, I skipped version 6. So, not sure the differences. I think if you don't like the black background in 6, there is a way in Preferences in 7 to adjust it. It's one of the first things I did. The black was difficult to work with. Here is a link with some of the differences - http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/upgrade/

I've only recently purchased it, so not totally familiar with everything in it yet. There is a new brush - the spot healing brush that I don't think was in 6. It's pretty cool. Allows you to brush over an area and it will sort of cover the area with the surrounding pixels. Good for cloning out things like telephone wires, etc. I don't use any of the online stuff they are offering with it.

You can always download a trial version from the Adobe site and see if it's worth it to you. I picked up mine for $42 after rebate, sale and a coupon I had.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote