Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:28 AM   #1

Hey all,
since there is some interest in that topic I'll start a new thread, especially for the in-camera-flash users. Other threads you might find interesting:

- #1 --> http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

- #2 --> http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

Now in #1 I described a basic solution with bouncer and diffusor, but this one has the following problem: if you want to travel light, i.e. 1 camera, 1 lens, minimalistic bag with just some rechargeables, maybe a grey card and some cleaning stuff,the bouncermight be too big because of it's round shape. On the other hand, what if you haven't planned to use flash that day and now you have to?

This is, what I came up with, maybe it helps you on a New Year party etc.

You'll need:

- some reflective material (here I use the backside of something I found in a package for sweets, be creative here!)

- 2-3 rubber straps, preferrable in white color

- a white piece of paper, make sure the flashlight shines through (i.e. it has to be thin enough)

- a clear plastic protective cover for credit cards (I don't know if that is available everywhere, but chances are that your bank has it or some1 of the party-guests can lend you such a thing)

Here are the main parts (card only added to show sizes and make clear how things work):

Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:34 AM   #2

The construction works the same as my other bouncer (as described here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80), it's just smaller.

The basic idea is, that the credit card cover slides easily over the in-camera flash and is still tight enough to hold everything in place. No heavy duty solution, but it works for the occasional photo and it doesn't hurt, if the whole thing slips of the flash and falls down

Use the rubber strips to attach the reflective material outside of the credit card cover, with the reflective side pointing towards the cover. That is a basic bouncer. Add the white paper and you get a bouncer/diffusor combo.
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:40 AM   #3

Try to experiment with different ratios of reflective material and paper (for a start justplace the paper behind the bouncer or between the reflective material and the credit card cover, that will do the trick with a good sized piece of paper).

This is, what this lil' baby can do for you:

(1) in camera flash only, notice the harsh shadows

(2) bouncer only

(3)+(4) differentdiffusor/bouncer ratios

Remember to mount the credit card cover onto the in camera flash in a way, that you flash INTO the bouncer and it directs the light to the ceiling. The construction eats quite a lot of your in-camera flash, be prepared to use a rather wide lens to get closer to the object, and smaller f-stops. I use this with my Viv 24/2, Pentax-A 28/2.8, Pentax-M 40/2.8 and Pentax-A 50/1.7 lenses. Should work with the kit lens, but never tried it. Tried my 85/2 lens, too -but this already calls for very small f-stops in most cases.

Happy flashing,
Th.
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:19 PM   #4

Interesting solution Th, thank you for sharing it.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 7:39 AM   #5

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Interesting solution Th, thank you for sharing it.

Tim
Thank you - and you are welcome!

If you get the chance to grab such a cover - go try it, I absolutely like that tiny solution.

Th.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 4:12 PM   #6

i've done a few of these as well. here's my latest in beta. i know now what i need to save and what to remodel.

i've also cut white and translucent sheets and hinged to bounce or shoot thru the reflector
robar is offline   Reply With Quote