Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:06 PM   #1

this isn't directly related to pentax DSLRs, but I admire all of your photos greatly. Patty's recent thread regarding printers inspired me to ask a similar question. I'm in the market for a new computer, and will need to choose a monitor to go with it . (An iMac is on the list of possibilities, andif I get one, the decision will be made for me, but otherwise I'll have to choose a monitor.) I'm hoping to get a 20-22 inch monitor, and I'd like tokeep the price at or below $300 (US), but that's not an absolute limit. Any suggestions or recommendations would be very much appreciated.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:30 PM   #2

If you are not too attached to Windows products or games, then go for the Mac.

I know I should have done so last time, but I do play a few games, plus I have several hundred £s worth of other software for the PC.

I was using a 19" Xerox monitor model XA7-19i which I bought last year in the sales for £200. This now belongs to my wife.

I now use an Acer X243w which is a 24" widescreen. It has a huge contrast ratio, and when turned up, I can feel the heat from the screen on my face!!

I found the widescreen better, as I have the vertical menus for CS2 on the right and can still maximise my photo work space.

I also use a Huey Pro to calibrate the monitor - this really makes a big difference.

Good luck inyour choices.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3

Dell makes some high-quality monitors that are comparable to Apple's cinema displays. I used to own a Dell 2007WFP 20" widescreen monitor, so I can vouch for their image quality.

The Dell S2309 is a 23" widescreen LCD monitor for $299.

If you up your budget to the $350 range, you can even get a Dell 24-inch widescreen monitor.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:41 PM   #4

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
Dell makes some high-quality monitors that are comparable to Apple's cinema displays. I used to own a Dell 2007WFP 20" widescreen monitor, so I can vouch for their image quality.

The Dell S2309 is a 23" widescreen LCD monitor for $299.

If you up your budget to the $350 range, you can even get a Dell 24-inch widescreen monitor.

- Jason
mtnman

I current am Using a 2 Year old Hyundai 19 LCD Model L90D+. I have no experience with wide screens at All. But i have heard the same as Jason. Dell is supposed to make some great wide screens

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:06 PM   #5

I have a Xerox XM3-22WB, a 22" model, great with Photoshop a long as I have the correct colour profile entered colours appear true. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:50 PM   #6

Hi mm,

I have a pretty old Viewsonic VA902b 19" 4x3 aspect ratio monitor that I like, but there were and are better ones out there. It was relatively inexpensive, but calibrated with a Spyder 2, it does pretty well for me. I doubt that you can find anything but wideviews now though.

Here's a current discussion on that other forum --

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=30431258

It starts off with a CRT/LCD discussion, but there are a lot of posts which have a lot of info on the different classes of LCD panels that I was (and still am) clueless about, but might enter into your decision.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:20 PM   #7

We have a Samsung 913T (19") Picked it up at Sam's Club a few years ago the day our old CRT died. That's what they had, so that's what we bought. I don't know much about CRT vs LCD. I do know that I like the display on this better. It seems clearer than our old CRT. Which, if I remember correctly, was a nice NEC we had for many years we paid a bunch for.

I don't know anything about calibrating it. With our old computer setup, we had software to use for the calibration. Although, I wasn't ever good at deciding which looked better in the choices. Since we've hooked it up to our new computer, there doesn't seem to be a way to go through that process. (Really need to take the time to figure that out.) The colors do seem okay as prints come out looking as they do on screen to my amateur eye. The biggest thing that bugs me at times is the text appears in different thicknesses sometimes down the page. My husband doesn't seem to notice it. When we did have some profiles set up, he was constantly changing it to something that looked horrible to me. Would probably benefit from a physical calibrator, but he'd probably say it didn't know what it was doing and he'd be tweaking it.

Anyway, my input, for whatever it's worth.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:50 PM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

LG 19" widescreen...very pleased with the performance.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:17 PM   #9

Santa brought me a 24 inch Samsung LCD Monitor. The monitpor is extremely bright and am still working to get it close to some semblance of "accurate". The Images are huge and am pleased so far. The model is the Syncmaster 2443 BWX (Non shiny screen).

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:25 PM   #10

Viewsonic Graphics Series G90fb CRT.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote