Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:03 PM   #11

We only got 6 inchs here I have been on vacation all week, so i had no reason to leave the house. We are now getting 35 MPH Wind Gusts

Patty

Bilizzaks are a Bridgestone Snow tire. They are regarded by many as the best snow tire going.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:47 PM   #12

Every year we go through the "are we going to buy snow tires?" discussion. Do we buy studded tires or Blizzaks (which as I recall, don't have studs). We've been up here for 8 years and have yet to get them - figure our high speed long distance commute would eat up Blizzaks quickly and we don't really need studs most of the time (they are noisy). Now if I lived in NH, I'd either have the Blizzaks or the Michelin snow tire (want to say it's called Alpin, but don't really remember), which is also supposed to be very good.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 2:07 AM   #13

I have Blizzaks on one car that is on the third year, but I have them mounted on winter rims so I can take them off when the weather gets above 50F, since the rubber compound in them wears very fast at higher temps.

I have over 20,000 miles on this set and they are worn less than 50% so I am happy with them so far as they are the best snow tires I have ever used.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 8:39 AM   #14

Thanks for the info on the snow tires. In the 20+ years we've lived here we've always managed with only good all-weather tires. But, this car has wide performance tires on it. And, I don't think the quality of the ones that came on it are that good. We usually buy Michelin's. I think it will take my husband getting tired of getting stuck in my car to do something about the tires. But, he has a Subaru that he will want to drive all winter if we go anywhere together. I'll just call him every time I'm alone and stuck and hope I don't get in an accident in the process :sad: Saw plenty of those yesterday.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:05 AM   #15

i want some snow here
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:07 AM   #16

Those low profile, performance tires that come on the Nissans are junk in the winter, they are absolutely a death wish in snow and ice. I went from Micehlins on the Altima (260hp V6-5-speed) to BF Goodrich 94V TR/TA's which made a major difference in handling during the summer months, but they too don't do well in winter.

If you ever decide to go with the Blizzak's on winter rims, you will never go back to regular tires and your Maxima will go anywhere the Subaru can and even be more stable on slick roads.

Anyway back to photos, but I just wanted to share this tire info with those on the forum that drive in snow and ice!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote