Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:12 PM   #1

And it isn't going to stop until this evening.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:05 PM   #2

Hi Tom,

We had that down here too, but after a 62 degree day (after some sub-zero ones) and a lot of rain, we've got no more snow on the ground -- except for the plowing piles -- and some significant flooding from the rain/melt as a bonus. The weather is just so wierd lately.

I'm tentatively planning a day at the beach just after New Years. I figure I've got about a 30% chance to get an 80 degree sunny day. . .:?:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 5:41 PM   #3

Tom

Your storm is headed our way. They are predicting 2-4 for us tomorrow
Our experience is more like Scotts however. Yesterday It was 65 degrees and a few days earlier we had a 3 inch rain Storm that Cleaned out all the snow on the ground

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:11 PM   #4

Heading this way, too. And, just as we could start seeing the blacktop of the driveway again. Forecast of 3 - 6". I may need some tires like yours before the winter is up.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:23 PM   #5

Well it finally stopped and there is 16" in the driveway, with another storm coming on Thursday. No chance of melting here with temps at about 4F (-15C) so the snow is here to stay for a while at least.

The Pathfinder with 4WD just keeps on pushing through the snow and the Altima with Blizzak's does just as well but just doesn't have the ground clearance I needed today.

Tom
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:28 PM   #6

Wow! Some snow! After the dusting of snow I saw Christmas night (which led me over to Red Rock Canyon for some pictures), it's warmed up. I actually sat outside on my own front porch with just a sweater on - the mountain this afternoon was warmer than two days ago in Vegas.

Hope all of you who are in the storm's path stay warm and safe.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:57 AM   #7

I was going to Vegas on the 19th of December for a quick trip and was to fly back on the 24th, but SNOW in Milwaukee delayed the flight for three hours, then the connecting flight in Minneapolis was delayed for three hours too. I then decided that with the forecast in Vegas for 45F and rain, I gave up and stayed home.

I was planning a trip to Red Rock Canyon since I wanted to see it in winter, but the best plans sometimes just don't work out. At least I had the fun of going through security (had to ship my Leatherman home since I forgot it had it on) three times, sitting in those comfy chairs watching every gate post delayed or canceled flights for two hours.

Tom
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:06 AM   #8

Happy New Year everyone.

That snow looks great. Here in sunny Perth its 37 degrees Centigrade, and we are not use to it after a mild spring! Off outside now for a cooling swim.

cheers all

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:26 AM   #9

Tom - I can see why you ended up skipping the trip - I hate flying at this time of year. I think you might have missed the several inches of snow they had in Vegas - it was around that time from what I understand. Red Rock is higher than Vegas and so probably had quite a bit.

The morning we went, there had been a slight dusting of snow on the lawns of Summerlin and you can see from my pictures that the snow level was quite low in the Canyon. They had the scenic road closed in the morning, waiting for the snow/ice to melt. It's a good thing I had gone to REI the day before Christmas and happened to find a nice knitted hat that covers my ears (I'd been looking for one to use at home). We really hadn't gone prepared for hiking in temperatures below freezing.

bb2 - Thank you, you can keep your heat right now. That's hot no matter when it comes - even with a gradual build-up. Hope you have good air conditioning!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:15 PM   #10

We've only gotten 8" from this storm. But, there were plenty of accidents this afternoon to wreak havoc on the roads. I'm home now and staying home for the night. Hoping that anyone who ventures out here stays safe.

Tom, what are Blizzak's? Is that a type of snow tire? My car is the Maxima. It actually did okay today (considering). But, I also switched it to manual rather than automatic this time. Put it in 4th and plugged my way up the hill by my house. The van behind me almost lost it.

Happy New Year to everyone. I'm not planning on waiting up for the clock to chime. Hope anyone who goes out tonight has a safe and fun evening.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote