Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 1, 2009, 6:15 PM   #1

Does anyone know about exposure "Auto Bracketing" with the Pentax KD20 and the Samsung GX-20. According to the published specs I see that the Pentax KD20 is capable of up to 5 exposures and that the Samsung GX-20 will up to 9 exposures.
If the cameras are virtually the same is there a way to get the Pentax KD20 up to 9 exposures, maybe with a firmware upgrade or firmware hack?

The reason I ask this is because I do HDR photography and the more exposures with bracketing the better my results. I'd like to purchase either the Pentax or Samsung. I have found the Pentax KD20 (body only) for as low as $650 US but I'm having a hard time finding the Samsung GX-20 for any less than $800/900 US. I'm in the US and the Samsung is not widely available .. even on ebay. I can't see how an extra 4 exposures is going to cost me an extra $200 or so dollars.

Can someone please confirm that the Samsung GX-20 does indeed do 9 exposures in auto-bracket mode.

Thank You In Advance,

geza28
geza28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2009, 6:56 PM   #2

Out of curiosity, where did you get the information that the Samsung will do up to 9 exposures? I'd be interested in where you got the information.

I have the Pentax, not the Samsung, so I looked at the Samsung user manual (you can download it from Samsung's web site). It offers you the same choices you get with the Pentax - when you use the auto-bracket mode you have the choice of 3 or 5 shots, just like you do with the Pentax.

There might be another way to go about it, such as doing a multi-exposure where you change the EV yourself (either by shooting manual and changing shutter speed between shots or by using the Ev option). But that creates one picture made up of 9 exposures rather than 3 or 5 separate pictures. The Pentax can do that also.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 7:16 PM   #3

thank you for your reply ... I've been reading a few reviews of the Samsung GX-20 and in the review specs it states 9 exposures. I did download the Samsung manual from their site and it's not really clear about auto bracketing, to me it reads as 3 exposures. As image alignment is critical with HDR photos I'd rather not touch the camera to do any ev compensation after I've set up the shot.

here's a link to a review:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...gx20.asp#specs

geza28
Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:13 PM   #4

It looks like the reviewer got confused between the multi-exposure mode, which can take 2-9 exposures (see page 58 of the manual) and the auto-exposure bracketing mode, which can be set for either 3 or 5 exposures (see page 90 in the user manual). That's the only thing I can figure out since they specifically mention 2-9 exposures.

The Samsung's owners manual indicates that these features work the same way they do with the Pentax (Pentax manual p. 129-130 for auto bracketing and p. 103 for multi-exposure).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5

Well that's great to know, thank you for your informative replies. It now looks like I can settle for the Pentax KD20 for fewer dollars than the Samsung. I'll take a closer look at the pages in the manual that you mention.

Thanks again ... (though it'd be nice to hear from a Samsung owner)

geza28
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:32 AM   #6

Owning a Samsung GX 20 for two days now, I can confirm that auto-bracketing on the GX 20 is the same as on the KD20. So 3 or 5 exposures. is what you will get.

I bought it as a replacement for my Ist*l as it was cheaper than the KD20 ( the diffrerence is about 250 euro's) I took the GX-20 with the 18-55mm Samsung lens - Have to replace that one with a more decent one.-
Now the rest of the family is using the ist*l

Did not have a lot of time trying it yet, but I will upload some results in the near future.

Richard.

See my last Ist*l pictures here:

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=JTM3EU48

Ritro again is offline   Reply With Quote