Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:30 PM   #1

I have an old Hanimex TZ1 that I used on a SLR, and was wondering if it will work on the K10D? I have seen that the P-TTL is recommended but will the old Hanimex hurt my K10D?
06 Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:56 PM   #2

welcome to the forum 06 Goat!
whatever you do don't try it until you are sure that it's compatible, you may end up with a dead camera!
I'm not familiar with that flash so I can't answer your question with any authority but, my guess is that it won't work. the voltage on the older flash units, is typically a lot higher than what the K10 uses. there are others on here that can give you a better answer plus a link to a site that will tell you everything you need to know about flashes for the K10. I lost the link when my hard drive crashed a few weeks ago or, I'd give it to you. I just wanted to jump in here before you got impatient and decided to try it.

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:02 PM   #3

Here is one - the TZ1 is not listed, although some other models are:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:15 PM   #4

Hi 06 goat,

There are also instructions to test your flash's trigger voltage at the site that Penolta mentioned.

Assuming that your flash will likely not be safe, you could still use it using a Wein Safe Synch, but IMO, you might be bettr off in the long run spending the money on a good used Auto thyristor or a fully compatible P-TTL flash.

Here's another good site to read up on the P-TTL options:

http://pttl.mattdm.org/

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:35 PM   #5

For people with favorite old flashes incompatible with their newer cameras, Sunpak makes a "Digital Camera Flash Adapter" its bracket mounts under the camera and has a side handle with a photocell and a hot shoe for the flash. It triggers off the built in flash of the camera and has several switch positions to set the number of pre-flashes (0-5) the camera uses so that it will not go off prematurely. It takes 4 AA cells and sells for about $40. It will allow any flash to be used with any camera that has a built-in flash, P&S or SLR/DSLR. The only caveat is that it doesn't like high trigger voltages, but they don't specify how high is high.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote