Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:08 PM   #1

why does Pentax make such a big deal about their P-TTL mode, where as, all it does is spoil all your portrait shots by making everyone eyes close for the photo????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????
Do you think Pentax has an idea in what their are doing, when they made this flash???? or was one of their engineers was trying to sabotage their name

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Domke F3X
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2009, 6:25 PM   #2

I have to say that I have been using P-TL since for about 3 years and I have only had one person who blinked at the first flash. Solved this by having them look slightly away from the camera.

I have had the DL2 the K10D and now the K20D and also the Sigma 500DG Super.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:41 PM   #3

I also have the AF360 flash. I think the Pre-flash effect is common to to any P-TTL flash, not just the AF360, including the on-board pop up flash on the camera. I think at least one in 3 of my family members close their eyes immediately after the pre-flash resultng in eyes shut during the actual exposure. I get better results by setting the AF360 in Auto mode, and setting the aperature, ISO, and focal lenght to match the lens and camera settings. It's a little more work, but the results are better. For example if I'm using my FA 50mm f1.4,and set the ISO for 400, and use AV mode at F4, I would choose those same settings on the AF360 in Auto mode. There is no pre-flash. And to be honest I get more consistently well exposed shots.

This works on most people except for my niece, who seems to have the uncanny ability to anticipate shutter release and close her eyes for every flash shot no matter what I do.

Attached Images

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:56 PM   #4

Hello,

This pre-flash thing is pretty much the same across the board (ie. manufacturers). It's the current "state-of-the-art".

As a200user says, with Auto Mode, you don't have the pre-flash, but it takes a little more work to set-up the camera.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:10 PM   #5

Hi Dave,

Actually, only a relatively low percentage (IIRC @ 5-10%) of people are quick enough to blink with the preflash, so the system was designed for the majority of people in mind. I recently shot my 40th High School Reunion, and only one out of 140 turned out to be a preflash blinker, which is lower than the normal percentage in my experience.

If I get a blinker with P-TTL I change the flash mode to "Auto" in order to eliminate the preflash, and set the flash ISO to match the camera setting and the lens aperture to what the flash recommends. If I discover that there are a number of blinkers in a group, I might consider shooting the whole event in "Auto", but P-TTL works better for pretty brainlessly dragging the shutter to brighten the background, so I would generally prefer it over "Auto" Mode.

The ability of the Pentax FGZ flashes to work in "Auto" is a very handy feature. It also allows them to be used with any hotshoe camera, regardless of mfg.

I understand that P-TTL's preflash to main flash delay is not as fast as some other systems, so there's a possibility they could change this in future bodies (if that can even be done). A shorter delay would probably eliminate most of the blinkers, but I think there would be some who would still be able to beat it.

Unfortunately, using a preflash to meter with the normal metering sensor is easily the most cost effective way to get the most sophisticated flash metering, so I think that we're going to be stuck with it. BTW, just about all digital cameras use a preflash system to meter, so everyone, regardless of what brand they shoot is pretty much in the same boat in this respect.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:33 PM   #6

thanks for the info

i am just pissed as my daughter came home for christmas and we had many family functions to attend , and there i was boasting of my new K20D and had to show off my pics with sleepy and closed eyes

now that snowstorm wrote , i only now remember that he onced told me of using auto mode on the flash dah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW would setting iso to Dynamic range cause people to have shiny faces

Dave__________________

Pentax K20D / D-BG2
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Domke F3X

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:33 PM   #7

ive only just got my f360 FGZ but i cant say ive noticed people blinking as yet, im still very muchin thelearning process, first few pictures i took were about 1 stop under exposed, then i noticed that half the frame had a very large white radiator in it, which i guess was confusing the P-TTL, i did try the auto setting and got better results, also on spot metering it seemed to work better.

i also read somewhere that linking the AF point and AE in the camera settings can help P-TTL but ive yet to try it out.

the thing im finding most hit and miss is using bounce flash, seems best results are from a white ceiling and a darker background. otherwise they seem underexposed.

i love the off camera flash though, its just great

one question for you, in the manual it says if the corect exposure is obtained the P-TTL on the LCD panel will blink fo 2 secs but it doesnt on my K20D even when the exposue looks spot on. anyone know why?
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:45 PM   #8

kazuya wrote:
Quote:

i also read somewhere that linking the AF point and AE in the camera settings can help P-TTL but ive yet to try it out.

one question for you, in the manual it says if the corect exposure is obtained the P-TTL on the LCD panel will blink fo 2 secs but it doesnt on my K20D even when the exposue looks spot on. anyone know why?

Hi Kazuya,

I always have the AE locked when the AF locks, and I have few trouble exposures. I don't know if that's the reason, though.

I believe that the exposure confirmation is only for film bodies. DSLR users can immediately chimp to see if the exposure is correct.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:51 PM   #9

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kazuya,

I always have the AE locked when the AF locks, and I have few trouble exposures. I don't know if that's the reason, though.

I believe that the exposure confirmation is only for film bodies. DSLR users can immediately chimp to see if the exposure is correct.

Scott
ah i see thank you for that
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote