Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:58 PM   #1

Two more deer shots since they are there and I am still trying to get the focus correct on my 300mm lens.

The other shots were with my 80-200mm zoom!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:21 PM   #2

I like this one Tom.
I think that 300mm is a good caliber shooting deer.:G
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:07 AM   #3

Another good shot - this one I really like, and it looks like the focus is fine in this picture. Have you got the focus set, or was this about the only one that's in focus?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:01 AM   #4

Hi Harriet, this is with the focus set back -2 for this lens only and it seems to be doing OK since all the shots (5) were in focus, although I was quite a ways away from these deer. This one was at f/4.5 which is wide open for this lens, but I need to take some closer so the focus is more critical to make sure it is where I want it.

I did another test with the focus chart and it now seems to be in focus, but favoring the rear area of the subject line, which beats the front focus missing the subject line completely it has without the adjustment.

My other lenses seem to be just fine, even my 2.8 lenses, although I really should test it with my 85 1.4 for some extremely thin DOF.

Tom
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:56 PM   #5

thats a nice shot
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:35 AM   #6

Focus looks good to me, as does the whole photo. I have not tried the whole focus adjusting thing. Is there any benefit to manual focus lenses or is it just for AF?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:23 PM   #7

Hi Tim, the focus issue it there with both AF and MF no matter how careful you are about getting it right on. I have a focus chart I drew up in one of my programs and used that to figure out it was FF in the first place. I now need to go back to the chart and try to fine tune the lens to where I want it to be.

The chart thing works better with shorter lenses since the focus distance of the 300mm lens quite long so it isn't quite as easy to see any change in focus point as it would be with a shorter lens.

Tom
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:39 AM   #8

Long lenses are much harder to do a focus chart with - especially if the lens' minimum focus distance is about the length of the room you're shooting in!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote