Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 11, 2009, 2:19 AM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Today I went hiking with it and tried to juggle my full Slingshot bag, snow shoes, ski poles, a new 60CSx GPS (way cool!), water bottle, clothing to keep comfortable (a headache in itself as those Santa Ana winds can sure be cold at 8800 feet elevation!).
Quote:
I'm getting more and more convinced that the Army has the right idea for carrying equipment while hiking - I'm now considering Lowepro's belt/harness system.
Maybe time to hire a sherpa?:blah:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:57 AM   #12

i am glad my only decision when going out to take photos is if to apply sunscreen or not lol

that sure looks like a very good lens
looking forward to seeing more photos with it

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:54 AM   #13

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Maybe time to hire a sherpa?:blah:
Great idea! I used to try to enlist Dan, but walking isn't his "thing" and he usually turns back after about a mile. I went 4.42 miles yesterday.

John - I love winter hiking, but it can be a bother. Summer is simpler only in that I don't have to deal with the snow shoes and use only one hiking stick (which is also a monopod).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:19 PM   #14

congrats on the new lens, im sure you will like it, i do mine.

me and my dog oftendid12 miles hikes last summer, i live practicly in sherwood forrest though, so its trees, trees and oh yea more trees all the way, ioften thought about loading the dog up with saddlebags to help carry my stuff, but ihave visions of him spotting a squirrels and running into the woods leaving a trail of equipment behind him, or worse, jumping in a lake lol
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:24 PM   #15

ROTFL! I would never had been able to put gear on my old dog. He was a Golden Retriever and LOVED water. If there was a puddle within a half mile of where we were, he would find it. He'd hike along, find a stream then splash through it and then lay down in the water to cool off. Or something similar if there was snow. My equipment would not only be strewn all over, it would be soaked, too.

Kjell - the A*300 isn't going anywhere, except to continue to live in my bag. It's not as convenient since it is manual focus and a prime, but I still love the quality I get from it.

I went out today and took some comparison shots with the DA*50-135. I've been pretty vocal that I thought this is a brilliant lens, and I still believe that. However, stopped down to f9 it really isn't significantly better than the 55-300. Of course, it's faster and can do things the 55-300 can't, but the couple of comparison shots I took of my wood pile surprised me - they were about the same when it came to sharpness and color (when both lenses were stopped down to f9). I think the 50-135 may stay with the K100 for a while now, while I keep the 55-300 with me.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:47 PM   #16

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Kjell - the A*300 isn't going anywhere, except to continue to live in my bag. It's not as convenient since it is manual focus and a prime, but I still love the quality I get from it.
How come I anticipated this answer?:G

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:20 PM   #17

There's just something about the A*300. Here's this morning's 6 am (before dawn here) moon taken with it for comparison. It had some levels adjustment and a high-pass filter for sharpening, but no smart sharpen/USM applied. It looks a lot less processed and has much detail (granted, the moon was at a better phase for detail).

P.S. This is a 100% crop, no resizing at all. I used the jpg version.
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:33 PM   #18

Very nice moon shot Harriet, those A* lenses have the contrast needed for shots like that.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:29 AM   #19

Harriet, did you post somewhere that you were not buying more lenses??

That is a very respectable moon shot for a 300mm lens!

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:47 PM   #20

Congrats on the new lens. As I've said before I have the Sigma 70-300 APO, which I use on my K 100D; my wife has the Pentax 55-300 which she uses on her K 200D. She's a very nice person, but she never shares that lens which says a lot about the IQ of that lens. (Before buyingher lensI suggested we could save some money by sharing the Sigma; she pointed out that we would likely get into arguments any time we encountered a situation in which we both wanted a long lens. of course, she was right.)

Regarding hauling all your stuff while hiking, i have a Tamrac Adventure 9 photo backpack. It has a top compartment that can hold personal items, and a padded bottom compartment for photo gear. It also has a zippered slot for carrying a laptop computer, thoufgh you surely would not use that while hiking. It's a very comfortable backpack, and I've used it many tuimes on all day hikes. It's a good-sized backpack, but not huge: in the winter when I have to pack extra clothing, it gets pretty tight. I understand Tamrachas now introduced ther Adventure 10 backpack which is larger, so it can hold moregear. I don't know if this would be important to you, but I have carried the Adventure 9 onto airplanesmany times; I suspect the Adventure 10 would probably be too big to pass the carry-on test.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote