Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:11 PM   #21

Well, Harriet, you've been looking at the 55-300 for a while and you finally took the plunge. It's great lens - I'm very happy with mine. It's much better than its specs would indicate on paper - as everyone can see from your shots.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:30 PM   #22

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
There's just something about the A*300. Here's this morning's 6 am (before dawn here) moon taken with it for comparison. It had some levels adjustment and a high-pass filter for sharpening, but no smart sharpen/USM applied. It looks a lot less processed and has much detail (granted, the moon was at a better phase for detail).

P.S. This is a 100% crop, no resizing at all. I used the jpg version.
Now see what you've done Harriet!
you just had to out do me didn't you.
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:31 AM   #23

bb2 - You are right, I'm not going to buy any more lenses. The budget can't afford it. This is it. I don't really need anything more - after a while I should go out with my old kit lens and decide once and for all whether I want to replace it with something else. I'm really on the fence about that, but am in no hurry since I only occasionally want something between 24 and 50mm.

mtnman - only problem with the backpacks is that they are backpacks. The one thing I hate is stopping every 100 yards or so (do that often) and have to take off the backpack to get out another lens, or the polarizer or the flash or something else. They do fine for carrying equipment on airplanes, in cars, or going from point A to point B without stopping. But not for day-hiking when the whole point is to take pictures. My compromise at the moment is the Slingshot 200 (and it's usually too heavy for me, but that's OK).

GW - I wasn't trying to, well, yes I was. The A*300 shot is the best night-time moon shot I've managed and I was showing it off.

But going back to the DA 55-300, it did a really nice job on my snowshoe Saturday. It's quite versatile:

Ice Close Up (300mm):

Curves (260mm):

Am I the only one that sees the big cat/lion here? (135mm)

Another one of the log: (55mm)

Not bad for a relatively inexpensive consumer zoom. I agree with Biro, it's better than the specs you see on paper.

Be glad I'm running out of time tonight. It might be January, and I might have been taking pictures of ice on Saturday, but lunch time found me taking pictures of people in short sleeves and brilliant colored poppies! I'm sure all the rest of the people who live in the northern hemisphere wouldn't want to see them...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:55 AM   #24

Well Harriet,
I have to admit, you did an outstanding job on the moon shot!
as for your last 4 shots, they are all great but the last one is my favorite.
it really speaks to me.

GW:bye:
BTW, I just bought a 55-300mm from one of our members, I should get it tomorrow.
can't wait!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:14 AM   #25

Those are just awesome shots. You have a great eye. (I guess I don't since I don't see the cat/loin.)

You're right about backpacks being very inconvenient if you're stopping frequently. How does the Slingshot do for multi-hour or all day outings? When I'm just walking around for a few hours or less,I use an Adorama Slinger bag, which is reasonably comfortable, and very convenient. My wife really likes the Tamrac Velocity sling pack (I don't recall exactly which model she has). Both the Adorama and the Tamrac bags allow quick and easy access to cameras and gear, but we've always assumed that they would not be well suited for all day use. I'd be interested in hearing how your back and shoulder feel after an extended outing using the slingshot.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:00 PM   #26

The cat/4 legged animal is probably in just my imagination, but I thought that I could see the head, leading leg and the line of the back in the lines on the log.

As far as the slingshot goes - I looked at the Tamrac sling bags, but thought the Lowepro had better padding on the strap and was better organized for getting at your equipment, especially if you re-organize it a bit differently. It's fine for half-day stuff. Saturday's snowshoe was very slow - I ended up spending a pleasant 4 plus hours. Much of the time was spent stopped looking, bending down (the ice picture) etc. with less than a half hour sitting on a bench (the wind was cold). I've never taken it on a true all day hike - the furthest I did with it was around 10 miles (maybe 6 hours, I think). I hadn't planned on going that far, but I was comfortable and just kept going, and I was really carrying too much stuff - 2 cameras and probably 5 lenses along with water. That last mile back was really difficult.

I think I might actually have a better time with the bag than someone who's tall. I'm 5 foot and have the strap adjusted so that the bottom of the bag rests on my rear end. That means most of the weight is carried by my hips, rather than resting on my back. I tend to lean forward and usually hike with a hiking stick (monopod) which also helps me keep my weight forward, something important for me since I have arthritis and leaning back can be painful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 1:20 PM   #27

Whatever works best for you is good, but I was going to suggest a waist or fanny pack for lenses in combination with a photographer's vest for the small stuff - should be less of a burden and quicker to use. Or you could use a holster case to hold a second body and lens already mounted - you did want to buy a second K20D body, didn't you? :G
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote