Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:14 PM   #1

I was looking through some of the photos I've taken in the past month and came across this one. I had been out one evening taking photos of the Christmas light displays in front of people's homes and this is in the middle of some of them. I'm not quite sure whatit was I was trying to capture. It has to be one of the homes.

What I'm wondering is, what is the pattern I'm seeing. Is that my sensor?

Just curious. Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:31 PM   #2

Looks like noise to me - did you try to lighten the darks in pp on a picture taken with really high ISO? Is this a 100% crop? I find that will bring out lots of noise that you wouldn't normally see. Also, which camera were you using? I used to see something similar (though vertical instead of horizontal) with the K10.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:47 PM   #3

That's true. Hadn't thought of that. Both of these were taken with the K100 and my 18-55 lens. First one at 55mm, .077s, F8, 1600 ISO. This second one at 55mm, .020s, F8, 1600 ISO taken just a few seconds before it.

Patty

p.s. Forgot. There was no processing done to either image exceptto convert to jpg and resize to 800x 600.

Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:32 AM   #4

it looks like one of those random dot stereogram pictures that you have to stare at for ages to see a 3d image :lol:
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:57 PM   #5

Kazuya, So, did you see anything in the image? :lol:

Harriet - I did try lightening and darkening to see if anything appeared. But, nothing.

Patty
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:27 PM   #6

To me it looked like a severely underexposed shot that you tried to lighten, and what you posted was the lightened version, not the one straight out of the camera. If this is the one straight out of the camera - I'm clueless, as I've never had one come out looking like that. I've never tried to take a long exposure without having the noise reduction option on, so I don't know what it would look like - what was your shutter speed? But it doesn't look like hot pixels at all.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:33 PM   #7

According to Windows Explorer, 1/50 sec.

In the 16,000+ photos I'd taken with the K100D, I had never seen any come out like this. There were 500 more photos beyond this one taken before I started using the K20D.

Patty
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:42 PM   #8

I give up - it's totally bizarre. If that's the only one that's like that, chalk it up to an oops and go on? Hopefully it won't happen again.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:06 AM   #9

My guess -- an it's only a guess -- is that you bumped the shutter button accidentally, and took a picture of the nighttime darkness (with lots and lots of noise). My theory has one major weakness, however -- the streetlight, or full moon, or whatever, is perfectly centered in the frame, and that seems very unlikely if it was just an accidental shutter actuation.

For whatever it's worth, I once post-processed a picture very heavily, and accidentally cranked up the noise level very high. It was a picture of someone making a presentation, and I tried to accentuate the writing on the flip chart. WhenI was finished, you could read the flip chart very clearly, but the presenter's sweater looked very similar to the night sky in your shot. But you said that you did no post processing, so that wouldn't apply to this shot.

I realize this a perfectly useless reply. Wish I could be more help, but I'm stumped.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote