Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:10 PM   #11

thanks for answering that question jelpee. I did some researching this weekend and have found about as many kinds of holster cases as you could think of stuff to do with. although nothing really hits the nail on the head for what I want, the lowepro topload zoom 1 comes close.

I've found that when hiking, frequently putting the camera in my pack and taking it out is unfeasible because you always have to stop and take off your pack to do it. Also, you can easily miss the moment if you want to shoot an animal. Ultimately, the camera ends up around your neck most of the time, which can get heavy. I think the best holster solution is one that can attach to your chest so it doesn't have to hang on your neck when you're not using it and you can still get it in and out easily. Light and small are important to me, and I've come down to the Tamrac 515, Tamrac 3330, and Lowepro TLZ 1. The 515 is heaviest, the TLZ1 the biggest, and the 3330 lacking D-rings for chest attachment. So, I'll probably want to go with one of those.

If anybody else had needs similar to mine, I feel like I could now write a book on it.

pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:45 PM   #12

Finally got around to getting the Lowepro TLZ1 (tlz = top load zoom). Here are my findings for those interested.

Without the lens hood the camera fits very comfortably. The end of the 16-50 is so big (3 in diameter) I was a little concerned the taper of the holster case could interfere, but no such problem. There is just a little "toe room" for the lens, which I like, just so that it's not pressed up against the bottom of the case.

There are two velcro pads holding up the camera by its hand grips. This makes it so that the end of the lens is never actually supporting the weight of the camera when the camera is nestled in the holster.

If you really want the lens hood attached - and it has to be mounted backwards - you can fit the camera in, but you'll need to remove the velcro pads in order for taking in and out the camera to be remotely convenient. Not a biggie here, I'll just put the hood elsewhere or not bring it.

The case has four D-rings on the side near the back, so I will have good options for attaching to my hiking pack chest harness.

The actual depth of the case is somewhat bulky, but given that the case fits the camera so well and the case itself is quite light, that issue doesn't detract much from my overall impression - and there are plenty of bigger holster cases out there.

The padding is adequate. I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping the ensemble on concrete (nor would I ever), but it's definitely good enough for stuffing in my pack if I needed to. The outer pocket is not padded at all, but I prefer this, since more padding here would mean a bigger case.

That's pretty much it.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:09 PM   #13

Thanks for the information! I've been thinking of getting a harness system of some sort, and would want to get some sort of holster case for mounting on the shoulder straps (chest mounted). There's just so many things I would like to get and experiment, but my budget is way too limited for everything.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:33 PM   #14

Both my Lowepro cases came with a chest harness.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 6:54 AM   #15

I didn't get mine with a chest harness, but the TLZ1 is compatible with the chest harness Lowepro makes.

While experimenting, I found that when attached to my hiking pack chest/shoulder straps, the weight of the camera+case actually moves the position of these straps, which is not a good thing. I think the solution will be to get some straps that can attach directly to my pack such that the case can rest on my chest as if it were a necklace.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:31 AM   #16

Looks like the Topload 65 AW is a slightly bigger version that might work as well. I've been thinking of a chest pack for hiking trips as well. Thanks for the review...

kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote