Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:34 PM   #1

Anybody know of any good cases/bags that are small and hold only body + lens? I'm trying to find something I can store my k10d with a da 16-50 when not in use when I'm on a hiking/camping trip. I carry a hiking pack (osprey) and am looking for something that can either be packed in my main pack (with cooking gear, bottles, etc.) or be strapped to the outside.

I think options like camera armor are unsuitable because they don't protect the camera structure - whereas if i'd like to pack my camera away for a while, i don't want it taking abuse from other stuff in the pack.

I've seen a number of holster options online, but can't tell if they'll fit a da*16-50 in them. Anyone run across something they can recommend?

Thanks
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:28 PM   #2

I don't have the 16-50, but I have two holster cases that will NOT work with the K20 and either the DA 55-300 or the DA*50-135 (I think the 16-50 is a bit shorter than the 50-135, more about the length of the 55-300). The first is a Tamrac I bought for a film camera and F70-210 lens. I can't tell you the model number. The other is the Pentax case that came with the DS. The K20 and DA 55-300 almost fits, but is still too long.

You might check out M-Rock's website. Their camera and lens cases looked nicely made and they have a nice modular system. Or check out Lowepro's website since they offer a harness system and holster cases to attach to them, and they have a larger selection.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:30 AM   #3

This is the one I have and it works great for fairly long lenses (FA*80-200), along with a shorter lens (FA*28-70) in the front pocket.

Keeps the camera dry in the rain and has a place for a tripod on the side and has worked for me for a couple or years now.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...m-2,2052,8.htm

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:03 AM   #4

Hi
i use a

Tamrac Adventure Zoom 4

for my K100D and the 18-55 kit lens.
I don't know if your lens will fit into this one.

I like it you can add on both sides additional smaller bags for lenses, etc.

The only issue, it is too small for the K100D and the battery grip, so i am looking for a replacement.

I bought a 'cheap' slingbag on ebay. But i am not convinced about that. The zipper in the closing flap is already broken. I just use it as a home storage thing and when i am out with all my gear (incl tripod).

But usually i 'll take the holster bag and put the battery grip in the car. While shooting i take only the cam without bag and put the lens bags on my belt on my jeans.
That's much more convenient for me.

But i know as my gear grows i want a new bag, and this one will then definitely be a backpack or slingbag from Tamrac or Lowepro.

bye alex

albreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:52 PM   #5

thanks for the suggestions. that topload zoom 2 looks like it will definitely hold the k10d + da 16-50. I do however like the smallness of the tamrac, if it could in fact fit my camera. I think it's ultimately going to come down to taking measurements.

so many "holster" cases out there are so beefy with so many compartments, that they're essentially as big as a normal sized bag. finding very spatially conservative shells that can still accomodate my camera+lens is a real challenge. I hate being out on a multiday hiking/camping trip and finding that deciding to bring my camera (plus packing supplies and weight) turned out to be a real drag.

Very excited about the weatherproofing though and am looking forward to not have to scurry to get it in my pack when it rains.
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:09 PM   #6

Ok, how about this one, that I also have but rarely use because of its limited space, but it is a nice inexpensive case. It is the Pentax 8510 and is available at many online stores, so just google it since I am not allowed to post for sale items here.

The Lowepro, is far more versatile and allows you to take one lens on the camera, one bellow it under a divider, one in the front pocket and another in the lower front pocket. Then there are the pockets in the top and the loops on the side to hold your tripod, all in a very compact case. Did I mention it is waterproof?

Tom
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:28 PM   #7

Tom - that looks like the Pentax case I have. It's a very nice, sturdy case, but isn't tall enough for the K20 and the DA*50-135. The DA 55-300 almost fits in it, but not quite. I'm not sure if the DA 16-50 is shorter than either of those lenses, if it's shorter than the 55-300 by an inch or two, it would probably work.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:42 PM   #8

Hi Harriet, it is strange how long a lens you can get in the case since it looks so short.

I bought it in Las Vegas at Caseys when I got tired of lugging my backpack case around and it worked out as a much more convenient way to carry my K10D around. It is a perfect fit for my K20D and the FA*28-70 which is a pretty large lens, so the DA*16-50 should fit it just fine.

Tom
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:55 PM   #9

B&H has a Tenba P131 Zoompak Holster case (new iin their used section) for only $9.95!:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Holster.html

It holds the K20 with Sigma 28-300 (smaller than the Pentax), but it is a tight fit for the body. It holds the smaller *istD with 16-45 with plenty of room.

The problem with most holster cases is that they were designed for film SLRs, which mount the body in the middle of the body, while digital bodies are short on the left side, and don't go into the case straight. if the fit is tight. This case is designed for digital SLRs, but not the largest ones (a right triangle shape versus an equilateral one). If you don't mind the bright blue color, it is a great buy (has the pull down weather flaps and a mesh bag inside for accessories, but if the fit is tight there won't be room for any. There is a belt loop and a shoulder strap. Tenba bags are well built, so for $10 how can you go wrong?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 5:40 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Tom - that looks like the Pentax case I have. It's a very nice, sturdy case, but isn't tall enough for the K20 and the DA*50-135. The DA 55-300 almost fits in it, but not quite. I'm not sure if the DA 16-50 is shorter than either of those lenses, if it's shorter than the 55-300 by an inch or two, it would probably work.
I have the case in Tom's picture as well as the K20D & DA*16-50. I can attest to the fact that to fit the K20D + the DA*16-50 is a tight squeeze. The issue is that the 16-50 is a large diameter lens (77mm) and does not quite fit into the well of the case.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote