Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:10 PM   #1

Check out this innovative and flexible light modification device. Don't knock it - as one or two reviewers apparently have done (others are favorable) - before you try out their neat interactive 3D display:

http://www.presslite.com/3ddemo.php

Looks interesting and potentially quite useful. Ingenious is the word. Their ebay page also is informative. Is it worth it? Only you can judge, but it looks like fun to play with. I'm trying to decide whether it would be useful in tabletop, close-up, and/or light tent photography. Adorama has a special this week with a small discount and free shipping.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:38 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very interesting--thanks for sharing the link. I agree with your assessment of "ingenious"! Seems like a useful way to direct the light from a shoe mounted flash. I would think you'd have to keep good notes on which of the infinite combination of mirror positions produce what effects! I will put it on my watch list!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:19 PM   #3

have to admit it looks interesting, wondering how sturdy it is? looks kind of fragile...
GW :bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:37 PM   #4

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
have to admit it looks interesting, wondering how sturdy it is? looks kind of fragile...
GW :bye:
Can't say from experience, but they address that matter on another page, and say it is sturdier than it looks. If you drop it while it is on the camera, however, it won't be the only thing that breaks! :lol:
Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:46 AM   #5

i have enough trouble now rememering to set everything on the camera and falsh, so id never remember what all the different angles did lol
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 2:38 PM   #6

Regarding the question of possible fragility, here is an early review that addresses that:

http://photo.greenlightstreet.com/ww...mArticleID/15/

There are also some sample close-up shots re my earlier question. Note also that it won't be damaged in shipping as it ships unassembled - "some assembly required" (but no batteries :G ). The manufacturer's website claims that it is designed to self-release from the flash before it can be damaged if impacted. One interesting additional possibility for it is that the panel frames can accept user made inserts as well as those provided -- cut-outs from colored gel filters come to mind as one possibility for special effects.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:24 PM   #7

I saw this on ebay a while ago.

Looks far too compicated for general use.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote