Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:31 PM   #1

There's no denying it, this morning it was a bit chilly here in Vermont. I took this pic at 6:30 this morning. In case the markings on the thermometer are not clear, it really shows an outside temp of 29 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit), which is 34 degrees below zero Celsius. It was pretty much the same throughout the entire northeast: Maine, New Hampshire, upstate New York, and many other areas. Both my car and my wife's car started, so I guess I have nothing to complain about.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:46 PM   #2

Hey, it was -33F here this morning but now it is up to -1F so things are good.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:11 PM   #3

Hey Mtnman,
Its been a while but, I can remember those days. spraying deicer on the door locks after work just so you could unlock them then hoping the motor started and then running back inside for 20 min while the car warmed up enough so you didn't get frost bite on the way home! :shock: then getting up early the next morning to dig the car out so you could get to work and start all over again... slipping and sliding all the way hoping you didn't hit someone and hoping nobody slid into you!:G now every time I start to complain about the hot humid summers here, I think of the harsh winters elsewhere and then count my blessings. There really was a reason I moved here...:-) thanks for the memories,

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:45 PM   #4

There's no denying that several days ago while digging my car out of a snowbank in sub-zero weather, the thought did pass through my mind that maybe this region is not the ideal place to live. But there are wonderful things about living in the frozen north: seeing fresh snowfall, spending a day on the slopes, stoking up the fire in the wood stove, then pouring a glass of wine with my wife. Life up in frozen territory isn't all bad. And, after dealing with nearly 30 below temperatures, 15 degrees above zero feels positively balmy!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:46 PM   #5

I like winter, but that is a bit much! I won't mention the 80 F lunchtime temperatures, either. I'm very grateful I have the best of both worlds - I can have winter at the house and summer at work. The snow never sticks around long enough to start to hate. We have our days below freezing, but it rarely gets into minus F territory. I really have the best of it all - low humidity even on hot days, frequent sunshine, snow when I want it. The weather is awesome. Now lets not talk about the fires, earthquakes, riots, mudslides, etc. that California sometimes has...

P.S. Don't people in the cold east just plug their cars in to get them to start? Or are block heaters not fashionable in Vermont (I have relatives in Canada).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:21 PM   #6

what can i say

we were at 85 to 90 degrees whole week

then again we are at that temperature whole year :G

Dave

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 9:52 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

-5 Farenheit yesterday...not as cold as what you had, but near record setting for Kentucky! Nice sharp image by the way and good lighting as well. What lens?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 4:35 PM   #8

Hi Mtngal -- yes, it sounds like you do have an ideal climate. I've never had the good fortune to visit California, but I really, really want to see the Sierras some day. A friend of mine teaches at UC Berkeley, and tells me that the climate is remarkably different from the northeast. As to block heaters, yes, they are commonly used here. For reasons I will never understand, my car (A VW Jetta TDI) cannot be equipped with one. My wife's car, a Pontiac Vibe, has a Toyota engine, and therefore starts reliably under just about any circumstances.

Dafiryde, I must admit, your climate sounds very appealing at times like this. Today was our fourth straight day of sub-zero weather, and it is expected to stick around for a couple more days. As a general I like Vermont winters, and
I love snowshoeing, XC skiing, and snowboarding. But 20 or 25 below, day after day, gets a bit tiresome!

Jelpee, that shot was taken with a K100D set at ISO 400, with the Pentax 50-200 lens, set to f8. I used the on-camera flash, which explains the rather harsh, direct light. But it was 6:30 a.m. and I needed to leave for work, so I didn't want to mess with bouncing an external flash off the ceiling.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 9:01 AM   #9

Having lived in Hawai'i, Califronia and Wisconsin for roughly about the same amount of years about 14 each I will say hands down that Wisconsin will not be the place I will hang my hat in my latter years. My step-mom is now in New Jersey after my Dad died in Hawai'i. She could not afford to live there alone and had moved back with family in the northeast. She is not enamored about it at all. She used to live in that area for 40 years. She also lived in Florida but is orginally from Nagasaki, Japan (also a survivor of the A-bomb drop).

I for one can't understand the bragging rights for how cold it is out here in the midwest and northeast. I guess when it gets that cold there isn't much else to talk about.

I miss the Sierras as I used to be an avid downhill skier but I hung it up being here in Wisconsin.

Oh and I used to live in South Korea and to my memory has been the absolute coldest place I have ever lived in winter time.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote