Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2009, 3:34 PM   #1

Snake about two feet over water on reeds in the wetlands. K20D, DA*300mm, f4.

Just got new Pentax KM delivered yesterday. Purchase new for $325 + $30 shipping. Plan yo use with DA Limiteds and for travel. Love the small size, and although I always shoot in raw (only takes 15 seconds to extratimbeded jpegs from 100 raw imageswith program) the KM is rated best of any Pentax yet for jpeg quality. Will post some pics when I have had the chance to get something worthehile. Love the compact demensions.

Ed
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2009, 3:58 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Ed,

Superb image with the DA*300! Will be anxiously awaiting samples from the KM--you are definitely one of them early adopters!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 4:24 PM   #3

OK, just for those of us how don't know... what is a KM? :-?
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 5:15 PM   #4

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
In the US it is a grey-market K2000 (UK/Canada model). Available body only, while K2000 is kit w/ 2 lenses + flash.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 5:37 PM   #5

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
In other countries the K2000 is a KM. Mine is not grey market, was bought from store in Canada, KM plus DA 18-55mm lens kit. The lens I do not need.

Ed
Old Jan 24, 2009, 6:06 PM   #6

Great shot. Do you know what species of snake it is?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:23 PM   #7

common water moccasin, non-venomous.. but the chance of infectionis high due to what it eats.. commonly mistaken for the cottonmouth moccasin that is venomous.. DAWG will say the same..............
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:36 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
common water moccasin, non-venomous.. but the chance of infectionis high due to what it eats.. commonly mistaken for the cottonmouth moccasin that is venomous.. DAWG will say the same..............
I believe this is what the snake is: As with all snakes seen near water in the Harris County area, the harmless Broad-banded Water Snake is often incorrectly referred to as a "water moccasin." This is because of its generally dark coloration and its irritable disposition. When threatened, Broad-banded Water Snakes will behave like all other local harmless water snakes of the genus Nerodia.

Ican find nothing on a water moccasin that is not venomous, may be local terminology.

Ed
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:12 PM   #9

I agree with Ed that it is a non-venomous Water Snake (there are several species), and not a Cottonmouth Moccasin (= Water Moccasin), but not that they are harmless - You can get bitten by a live one if you try to pick it up. I once picked up a fresh road-kill Green Water Snake on the Tamiami Trail in the Everglades (the most aggressive species) which promptly bit me (by reflex action) - I was picking teeth out of my knuckles for three weeks! I was a slow learner - I once got bitten the same way by a dead inoffensive Scarlet King Snake which had been beaten to death on a nature trail near the Park Headquarters in Everglades National Park by a heroic tourist out to make the world safer (he got arrested). It even happens to the profedssionals - a venom researcher in Chicago was bitten and killed by the decapitated head of a Rattlesnake that had too much of its neck left for a "handle." You can't be too careful, even with the dead ones!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:28 AM   #10

i grew up in S. Louisiana. i'm just posting what we called them. truthfully we considered all snakes as venomous. it was safer like that. i've handled many snakes that were not dead. many parts of the state you just did not let your kids(say under 7) outside without supervision. i've never been bitten but know of a few others that have.. drP's post makes a good point......

ed?? where is harris county in florida.. it's houston here in texas.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote