Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:07 PM   #1

Took these today to test exposures on all white birds and Swans are all we have around here right now. I like the exposure on the first one with the lone Goose.

80-200mm, K20D, PEF, ISO 400

Now this second one, I like the exposure on the Swan with its wings open and water splashing off, but the Geese are too dark and need work.

80-200mm, K20D, PEF, ISO 400

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:36 PM   #2

Did you use the 200% D-range on these?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:46 PM   #3

No I actually forgot about it!

Tom
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:43 PM   #4

Unfotunately I spent my money on a rather crappy 22" screen, a little difference in viewing angle changes the pictures a lot. But"thanks" to thatI can see that the first picture has all detail in the swan's white feathersif I tilt the screen backwards a bit, and the goose's black neck has it if I tilt the screen the other way. So the detail is there, if someone doesn't see it it's because of limitations in the the screen and not in the photo.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:55 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

If you are looking only at the swan, the exposures are perfect with good detail among the white feathers. However, I imagine you'd need to try HDR imaging to balance the lighting on the geese. I've experimented with the 200% D range on the K20D and can't say that the effect is dramatic. From the reviews however, the N**** D300 has impressive credentials when it comes to dynamic range.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Now this second one, I like the exposure on the Swan with its wings open and water splashing off, but the Geese are too dark and need work.

This is to be expected if you spot meter on the swan, is it not? Did you try center-weighting?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:03 PM   #7

I LOVE the detail in the second picture. It doesn't bother me in the least that the geese are a bit dark, the swan is AWESOME! The first is excellent, perhaps a better picture, but my favorite is the second one.

I've played with the dynamic range a bit. It does help keep you from blowing out the highlights (I should have used it on the egret, but like you, I didn't think about it). But it introduces more noise in the shadows. I was disappointed in what I got when taking pictures at sunrise/early morning - think it would do better in conditions like this, where you don't have much for deep shadows.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:37 PM   #8

I'm on my laptop right now. I was having problems with glare spots on the monitor so tilted my screen forward and the second image is great. The geese aren't too dark that way. I love the detail in this second image. Beautiful.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 2:07 PM   #9

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Unfotunately I spent my money on a rather crappy 22" screen,
Kjell
kjell,which flat panel??

tom, EV on these are spot on. i get good contrast on both but the 2nd one is tops..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:24 PM   #10

Thanks for the input everyone, it was fun dealing with the extreme DR with the white and dark birds in the same shot.

Tom