Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:16 PM   #1

I entered a local women's club photo contest this past week. It is their first and they keep changing what theywant.

All images have been submitted as printed format, but then they e-mailed us asking for digital images in the largest format size possible. Said they had a surprise for us. Well, the surprise is they are putting all the submitted images (nearly 400 in total) onto a DVD in a slideshow and selling them for $5 each.

They say the images will have our name as a watermark on them and the images will not be able to be pulled out of the slideshow. But, when we asked her what file type it is done in she just says "done on a Mac". Doesn't make me feel confident she knows what she's doing. She says she takes photographs all the time and no one would ever steal someone's image. Hah! And, she now has my images in full format size as requested.

I'm just curious how others feel about this. We'll be requesting that they not put our images on the DVD. But, was interested in how others who are into photography feel about this.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2009, 4:27 PM   #2

I don't mind if someone use my pictures for a non-profit or purely private purpose. But what you describe sounds like outright theft to me, if the conditions weren't clearly declared before you submitted your images.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 4:32 PM   #3

Basically they are giving away all the images for $5 at high resolution which is not something I would go along with. Not to mention she can not publish your images without your permission!

I would never have sent her high res images in the first place, but then that is just me.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:01 PM   #4

Thanks, Kjell and Tom.

Yep, that's one thing that upset me was the day after we had to submit the photos in print only they e-mailed stating for us to send the highest resolution we could. They had a surprise for us. Seemed strange, but did as they asked. Then, yesterday when they announced whose photos were accepted they told us about the DVD. I didn't think anything of it at first as I thought it'd be cool to see all the images that had been submitted. But, the more I thought about it, I realized anyone who paid for the DVD would have all five of my images I had submitted.

When we submitted, we did sign a sheet stating that we agreed to allow them to "reprint my entry in promotional material with a photo credit". But, I don't consider this to be promotional material.

Any other input still welcome.

Patty
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:30 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Looks like a case of "Fool me once, shame on you!"
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 6:46 PM   #6

Hey Patty,
A letter from an attorney informing them of the law suit they face for this act of piracy, will most likely convince them to abandon the idea. You didn't release your ownership of the images. even if they gave away the DVD's it would still violate your rights to profit from your own work. the fact that they want to profit from the sale of the DVD's is a pretty bold thing to attempt. I think it was done without much forethought.
:-?
frankly, I'd be a little upset.
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:33 PM   #7

Sounds VERY dodgey to me

:sad:
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:50 AM   #8

It might be a good idea to ask them to whom they expected to sell the DVDs. If they are just doing it for the folks who submitted the pictures that would be one thing, but if its for the general public, then that's something else again. They could also be thinking its just for those in the club. They may not be thinking like business people, and may not realize they are actually committing a crime!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:37 AM   #9

Thanks for the extra input. My husband was telling me not to worry about it. Just let them do it. But, I just didn't feel it was right. Especially since they hadn't disclosed what they were doing when they asked for the images.

I think they were thinking they would only sell the DVD's to the participants and the civic club. But, you know how that goes. And, a copy would probably be given to the library to be loaned out to anyone, too.

She did write me back and said she'd take them out. But, she is still thinking of printing a photo book of the images to give the library that they are using to display the winning photos. At least they would not be in digital format and easily manipulated.

GW - You said, "even if they gave away the DVD's it would still violate your rights to profit from your own work" If they use my photos, I can't profit in any other way from them? I didn't realize that. Can you explain?

Patty
Old Feb 1, 2009, 3:56 PM   #10

Hi Patty

I have to agree With everyone Else. They Should not have Done that!! It Should have been disclosed upfront, if that was there intent. i feel you Did the Right thing by Telling them they could not Use the Hi res Pictures>

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote